AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There have been a few people i have seen post about this tv, but theres not really a forum for it, so, here is one. if you have this TV post away.....

I have the vt470m got it from dell.... really like it so far, replaced a 42" LG lcd and this tv looks a lot better

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
so....calibration settings....Dark room set with ISF calibration disc....

Brightness : 61

Contrast : 45

Saturation : 40

Hue : 0

Sharpness : 35

Backlight : 30

contrast enh. OFF

Color Stretch OFF

Temperature PC

DCR ON

Fast Response ON

Smooth motion LOW

hope this helps anyone out there that isnt me....

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
apparently I'm the only person that owns this TV or cares about, but I figured I would bump this thread back up to the top one last time....c'mon people I know you're out there!!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hey!, I just got this set and Im liking it so far, also I tried those settings you put up they were pretty good, have you tried any other settings ?

·
Registered
9 Posts
I've had the VL470M ($847 at Sams) going on 2 weeks now. At first I wasn't impressed. There seemed to be too many motion artifacts in the picture (including HD through DishNetwork). However, once I realized that the problem was Dish since OTA locals are stunning, I am satisfied.

After dreadfully reading about vertical banding and possible noticing some on my new Vizio, I tested out mine hooking my laptop to the tv and loading up the paintbrush app (with gray screen). And wouldn't you know it..particularly on the left side of the screen there is considerable banding (streak of brighter image). Looking specifically for it during regular tv watching, I only notice it once a day if that. However, with the tv off I found a scratch on the screen. I remember seeing it there when I first pulled the tv out of the box but I thought it was just a hair and forgot all about it. You can't see the scratch at all ever with a picture on the screen but it's the fact that I know it's there. My wife thinks we should keep the tv but I am thinking about exchanging it for another.

I would love to know if anyone has similar problems before I take haul mine back to the store. At that price though, if others have the problem I would probably still keep mine.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I also notice artifacts on some channels(using cable) but I think its just the TV signal because the TV plays games perfectly, ps3 games and bluray look really good, though Im still getting used to the smooth motion setting on the TV I know I can turn it off but I'm giving it a chance before I write it off as a no go

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
yeah, i cant decide on the 120hz either, the real advantage of it i think will come in the fall when football season starts....but i dont think it runs when i play games or watch movies....so, yeah and about the disc, the ISF disc is pretty basic in terms of the tests, so i think im gonna try to find a disc with more fine-tuning controls and one thats on blu-ray

·
Registered
5 Posts
okay, I didn't know what you were talking about when you said disk but I get it now and the smooth motion does run with games and movies blurays especially, makes them look like soap operas and games get a effect that gives the illusion that it's running at 60fps or so, it looks really smooth

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
hmm, maybe i just notice it working more on my TV input, and i havent watched a lot of movies on it yet, got the hurt locker, gonna watch that on it this weekend, but watched UP and it looked....amazing

·
Registered
7 Posts
Just got a VT470M at Costco. The colors look off to me, and I've tried adjusting them to make them look better, even using the settings here, but so far haven't improved the colors enough to prevent me from returning the TV and getting something else.

Also, it takes some careful adjusting to get something that isn't either too washed out vs losing all the detail in the dark areas.

Any suggestions on getting the colors and contrast to look good? What should I use for an adjustment reference image? We almost always use the set in a well lit room.

On the topic of 120.hz, the setting was most noticeable when watching an old (1947) B&W movie, and made movement a lot less jittery. On some modern content, I'm not sure I can even tell the difference. That's not a complaint, just an observation, since it's been mentioned.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
my advice would be to use the THX adjuster on any newer pixar movie, other than that, im not sure the colors to my eyes seem pretty accurate after adjustment, its entirely possible you got a bad panel, happens sometimes....

·
Registered
7 Posts
Thanks. I used the THX adjuster, and was able to get a little closer on color, and improve the contrast somewhat. For some of the settings, I had to make some pretty large changes. Still not perfect though: Some colors are still not right -- Chocolate shouldn't have a greenish yellow tint, and lemons shouldn't have a greenish tint, and red isn't supposed to be orange. It I try to get one color right, like yellow, another goes off, like red.

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
I have had the 47" version for 3 months now and absolutely love it. I have the frame interpolation mode turned to high and I think motion set to precise. Anybody know what the precise vs smooth does? I can't wait to see the Vizio 72" 3D tv!!!!

·
Registered
80 Posts
Hmmm, precise is there, though I can't remember exactly where at the moment. I've got a Java VL470M which may be the same. Thanks for the calibration settings. I'll give 'em a try.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by raiderfan0770 /forum/post/18353018

hmm....i wonder what the difference is between the vt470m and the vl470m

update, i looked into it a bit more, and besides the actual look of the bezel, the only difference seems to be that the VT470M has 4 speakers on it, whereas the VL470M has only 2, anyway if anyone else has anymore insight would be glad to hear it.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts