AVS Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took my Vizio M552i-B2 down from it's wall mount this weekend to paint my living room and place an LED back light on the TV. I cleaned the table, placed a comforter on the table, and put the TV face down on the table. This is recommended in the manual/quick start guide, "Place the TV screen-down on a clean, flat surface. To prevent scratches or damage to the screen, place the TV on a soft surface such as a blanket." When I put the TV back up I discovered that the screen was broken. (BTW, I didn't drop, bang, hit, etc. the screen.) I contacted Vizio and I was told that simply placing the TV face down can damage the screen and broken screens aren't covered. I tried contacting Vizio again and they still refused. I even posted to their Facebook page. I contacted the credit card company to dispute the charge. They said that if I can find a third party who can state in writing that the crack happened by placing the TV on it's face, then I can get a refund. Does anyone know where I might find someone who can do this?

·
Banned
6,246 Posts
I took my Vizio M552i-B2 down from it's wall mount this weekend to paint my living room and place an LED back light on the TV. I cleaned the table, placed a comforter on the table, and put the TV face down on the table. This is recommended in the manual/quick start guide, "Place the TV screen-down on a clean, flat surface. To prevent scratches or damage to the screen, place the TV on a soft surface such as a blanket." When I put the TV back up I discovered that the screen was broken. (BTW, I didn't drop, bang, hit, etc. the screen.) I contacted Vizio and I was told that simply placing the TV face down can damage the screen and broken screens aren't covered. I tried contacting Vizio again and they still refused. I even posted to their Facebook page. I contacted the credit card company to dispute the charge. They said that if I can find a third party who can state in writing that the crack happened by placing the TV on it's face, then I can get a refund. Does anyone know where I might find someone who can do this?
sorry to say you should never face a tv down on ground good luck hope they take care of you.

·
Registered
13,714 Posts
I'm sorry, but something sounds fishy. There is no way that putting an LCD TV face-down on a perfectly flat surface protected by comforter should result in a cracked screen.

·
Registered
6,580 Posts
I have never seen physical damage covered

The other part is..generally speaking LCD screen are fairly robust to being laid down...as long as the surface is flat and not abrasive
Are you sure the damage wasnt there before you took it down>...and then you didnt notice it until you put it back up?

I guess I am missing something in this story

Warren

·
Registered
578 Posts
When I put the braces for my TV stand on the back of my 55" sammy 6350, I laid it screen face down on my queen bed.
Anyway either you put too much pressure on the screen or the screen already had a crack that you just never saw, and just a small amount of pressure popped it. Could it have been damaged in shipping but you just never saw it?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have never seen physical damage covered

The other part is..generally speaking LCD screen are fairly robust to being laid down...as long as the surface is flat and not abrasive
Are you sure the damage wasnt there before you took it down>...and then you didnt notice it until you put it back up?

I guess I am missing something in this story

Warren
I know it sounds fishy given the percentage of screen damage caused by abuse, negligence, etc. but those are the facts. My cat may have jumped onto it during the night. He weighs about 10 pounds. I didn't see any damage when I took it down - but that really doesn't mean much in this case - you can't see the damage now until it's turned on.

The repair people I've talked to say that it can happen but none of them want to go on the record to say that. I have the feeling that they're afraid of litigation or loss business from Vizio.

·
Registered
536 Posts
Place the TV screen-down on a clean, flat surface. To prevent
scratches or damage to the screen, place the TV on a soft
surface such as a blanket.

I've never trusted the above Vizio instruction and always used a bed. Samsung has similar language. They overrate the basic sturdiness of their product, especially the screens.

·
Registered
71 Posts
You are done, might as well just buy another set, nobody will cover that. If they allowed it then everyone tired of their tv would just punch the screen and call in with a similar story. Regardless of how legit it is they can't afford to cover physical damage.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You are done, might as well just buy another set, nobody will cover that. If they allowed it then everyone tired of their tv would just punch the screen and call in with a similar story. Regardless of how legit it is they can't afford to cover physical damage.
Yeah that's pretty much what I was thinking.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts