AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hopefully someone can help me with a strange picture problem I am having.

Serial #: LASPGQBL5002067
Model #: XVT3D474SV

I am noticing some strange artifacts or noise in the picture. Mostly in dark solid areas like a dark background, or the sky or the ocean etc. Its like a faint dots or spots swarming around the area. Kind of like the "snow" on an old TV but very very faint. Most people would not notice this but it is annoying, the picture used to be perfect.

I tried to get some pictures but it is very difficult to capture what I am seeing with a camera.

Thanks,
Anthony

·
Registered
18,865 Posts
If what you're describing is what some call "sparkles", it could be the HDMI cable. What kind of cable (passive high speed) and how long is your run?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Dynex high speed passive HDMI cables. 9' long each. I have a separate one for cable and one for the Blu-Ray player. I tried to Google "sparkles" and am not sure if that is what I have. On my screen these are extremely faint and entirely cover very dark areas. Like a blanket of shimmering blanket of tiny dots but very faint.

Should I try to change out the HDMI cables? Do you recommend a brand?

Thanks,
Anthony

·
Registered
18,865 Posts
Any certified passive high speed HDMI cable should work just fine. Monoprice, MediaBridge, Blue Jeans, etc make good cables. You don't need to buy the overpriced cables such a Monster, etc. Are you connecting to a receiver first and then to your tv or are they both connected directly to the tv?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Cable box to TV and Blu-Ray Player to TV.
I changed out the HDMI cable and also lowered the shapness from 8 to 2 and turned the noise reduction from low to off. Its still there. It mostly is in solid dark areas and covers the entire area with a "blanket" of tiny shimmering "dots" but extremely faint, you have to focus to see it. I wish I could post a pic but its too faint to get on a camera. Maybe its always been there and I never noticed it. Its one of those things that you don't see until you do and than you cant unsee it. The TV is over 3 years old and I would think not worth the cost to have someone come out and look at something that may just be inherent in the TV. Maybe its time for a new set. As time as gone by I have become more and more particular about picture quality.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts