AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know one is LED and the other is LCD so this may be apples to oranges. I'm looking for opinions here. I've come to realize that looking at these things at the store doesn't tell you anything about the picture quality. Is the bump in price worth it to go with the vizio? I'm not a snob but the vizio brand does kind of scare me because I know they at least started out making lower end, cheaper tv's. I'm not sure how much I would use the apps. I'm really just looking for the best and most reliable tv for general tv, occasional movies and football games.

·
Registered
68 Posts
If the Vizio is an edge lit LED, which is most likely, there is really no reason to pay the upcharge just to have an LED, when the picture on the Sony LCD will be just as good or better, with better reliability. I'd go with the Sony.

·
Registered
77 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gman1987 /forum/post/19640244

That was insightful. Any particular reasons you would choose the Sony? No need to open and reply to these threads if you don't want to.

First, I totally agree with you. While this is a great site there are a lot of people that act like you insulted their mother by posting a simple question. There's just no need for such bad attitudes, if you're not interested in the thread don't read it, and better yet, don't post a condescending reply.

Now, back to your question. If you can afford the 47"+ Vizio I would seriously consider it. The Vizio is full array local dimming, which by many is considered the best LED/LCD display tech available. Also, the Vizio has received many great reviews from both professional reviewers and consumers alike.

·
Registered
6,242 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakkim /forum/post/19642411

First, I totally agree with you. While this is a great site there are a lot of people that act like you insulted their mother by posting a simple question. There's just no need for such bad attitudes, if you're not interested in the thread don't read it, and better yet, don't post a condescending reply.

Now, back to your question. If you can afford the 47"+ Vizio I would seriously consider it. The Vizio is full array local dimming, which by many is considered the best LED/LCD display tech available. Also, the Vizio has received many great reviews from both professional reviewers and consumers alike.

The Sony EX500 has also received rave reviews from professional reviewers and consumers as well. I have nothing particularly against the Vizio, but I would be hard-pressed to recommend spending someone's hard earned money on a brand I wouldn't buy for myself. Apparently the thread starter, gman1987, has some misgivings and apprehensions regarding Vizio or he wouldn't have mentioned it in his original post.

I'm no Sony fanboy (I own two Samsungs and one Sony), but since he only mentioned two models he was looking at, I would choose the Sony EX500 without hesitation. In his own words he's looking for looking for "the best and most reliable tv for general tv, occasional movies and football games." Sony has been and continues to be one of the most reliable TVs on the market and they provide exceptional customer service.

It's his money and his choice, and I sure as heck wouldn't make a decision based solely on the comments/recommendations of a few strangers on the internet. You may think I was harsh in my comments, but I monitored this Forum for two months before buying my first flat-panel HDTV. I asked no questions about "what I should buy" feeling that I was intelligent enough that I could make that decision on my own. Maybe if more people would do some serious research and not make snap decisions, there would be fewer people griping about the TVs they ultimately purchase.

·
Registered
322 Posts
it helps to know where you are posting. there is a specific thread dedicated to the whole "help me pick a tv and why" questions. when the forum staff started that thread it was to cut down on threads like this that tend to clutter things up. try taking a look around. btw, its a sticky at the top of the LCD TV section. not hard to miss.

·
Registered
6,242 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by henbone11 /forum/post/19642707

it helps to know where you are posting. there is a specific thread dedicated to the whole "help me pick a tv and why" questions. when the forum staff started that thread it was to cut down on threads like this that tend to clutter things up. try taking a look around. btw, its a sticky at the top of the LCD TV section. not hard to miss.

As much as I hate "please help me decide on a TV" threads, in all fairness to the Thread Starter, he probably got more replies by initiating a thread of his own. That sticky thread to which you refer is a great idea in theory, but it's horrible in actual practice because not only do very few people respond, it's like looking for a needle in a haystack trying to find specific answers to specific questions.

I still contend the best way to buy a new TV is to do tons of research and then come back with specific questions. There are already threads on this Forum dedicated to nearly every "popular" TV, so if people would just spend a little time doing some serious research it would lessen the clutter and make for a more well informed membership.

·
Registered
4,357 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick64 /forum/post/19641060

If the Vizio is an edge lit LED, which is most likely, there is really no reason to pay the upcharge just to have an LED, when the picture on the Sony LCD will be just as good or better, with better reliability. I'd go with the Sony.

The Vizio is LED backlit with local dimming and currently one of the highest rated LED sets on the market. Please don't spread your misinformation.

·
Registered
68 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpmurr /forum/post/19642993

The Vizio is LED backlit with local dimming and currently one of the highest rated LED sets on the market. Please don't spread your misinformation.

It appears that my apologies are in order. I should have researched the Vizio more before commenting. Sorry.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I have been researching both these sets for some time now. I had pretty much decided on the sony since I get a decent discount on it but I saw an advertisement for the vizio for only $250 more than I can get the sony for. I didn't mean to cause a stir I am just genuinely interested in the opinions of those on here that know a lot more abut this stuff than me.

·
Registered
145 Posts
I went with Vizio. Having owned a Sony LCD and Toshiba (DLP), I was afraid of going with a "low-cost" brand. My Sony Bravia W4100 still sits in my bedroom while the Vizio replaced my former WD-65C9 Toshiba set which had awesome PQ. I always saw Vizio brand grouped with Westinghouse, Insignia and AOC brands but having seen the PQ of the XVT553SV, I was extremely surprised. I went with Vizio and never looked back. Yes, I went with the Walmart/Costco TV but hey, it's a great buy and saved a lot of money vs buying a Sammy, Panny or Sony. I have friends who own the top brands and laugh about my Vizio until they actually see my set. They themselves can't believe that its Vizio.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
This is kind of my dilemma as well. I still see Vizo in the same light as Westinghouse and Insignia. I'm sure that both these TV's have great pictures and I would probably be happy with either one. I guess it comes down to a mid level TV with name brand recognition and a good reputation VS. a well reviewed TV with the newer technology but a somewhat dubious reputation. What advantages does the Vizio really offer other than the apps which if I'm not mistaken could be had with the right blue ray player hooked up to the Sony? Do backlit LED TV's have inherently better PQ than LCD's?

·
Registered
1,631 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gman1987 /forum/post/19645643

Do backlit LED TV's have inherently better PQ than LCD's?

Yes...IMO some of the high end edge-lit Sony's displays can compete if you get one without uniformatey issues but full array is the superior tech that you may not appreciate until you get it home and out of store lighting.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Vizio's reputation is following that of Samsung and LG (Lucky Goldstar,) both of which were once viewed as cheap junk but overcame the inital impressions.

It looks like Vizio has turned the corner. I say "looks like" because, even with the great sets they are now making, we don't know about the long-term.

But I bought one (XVT473SV) and I've had a very happy month with it. PQ is wonderful.

My other sets are Samsung, Toshiba, Panasonic, and Sharp, by the way.

·
Registered
511 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cschang /forum/post/19646787

An excellent review of the Vizio....with a comparison to the Panny VT25.

http://www.hometheater.com/flat-pane...dtv/index.html

Sounds like a nice review. I may end up taking my Samsung back to BB this weekend and get the Vizio. Same size, $600 less for the Vizio. I was very impressed with the picture at Costco.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts