AVS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Simply, I've been posting all over this forum talking about this, but I believe I came to a solution: the VIZIO XVT423SV, one of the most well-received, reviewed tv's on the market, has one of the most attractive prices also on a variety of websites. I ordered the LG already, but upon realizing about the lottery issue, I got scared and began looking into other models. I can't afford the 47'' Vizio, though, so I'd 'settle' with the already very big 42''.

Many of you swear by the LG XXLE5400 with the IPS screen, but my question is this: What's better, the VIZIO XVT423SV, or the LG 47LE5400 with the IPS screen?

I need to make my decision very, very quickly as I'm not sure how long all the lovely deals on the vizio will last.

Thanks,

-Vader

·
Registered
6,242 Posts
Keep the LG. It's a proven winner and a bigger TV. There will always be something more attractive on the horizon and unless your last name is Gates or Buffett (as in Warren, not Jimmy), then you can't buy 'em all.

Don't worry; be happy.

·
Registered
662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply. It just seems that the 5400 is either not rated or rated lesser than the vizio on nearly every review site I've seen, many citing this vizio model as being one of the best tv's of the year all in all.

Also, the 42'' Vizio is 40 dollars cheaper than the LG 47''.

I dunno, I'd love to keep the LG for the size and for just how easy it would be to hold onto it, but are there any technical reasons the 5400 is better than the vizio?

EDIT: I apologize if I seem crass, I'm just trying to be thorough as I'll need to decide in the next couple days

·
Registered
662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by leech1980 /forum/post/19550225

something to consider is if you want to stream media from your PC or NAS. the LE5400 has built in DLNA while Vizio has yet to support DLNA in its HDTVs.

I've only done this a couple times so I doubt I'll start now, I have a minidvi to HDMI cord for my MB so that would be fine if I can't find a way to convert whatever file I want to play to something for my PS3.

Any other advice?

·
Registered
662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLUDGE /forum/post/19550356

I agree with Jim. Get the bigger tv. That 42" will get small pretty fast after a few months. Always go with the larger screen.

I have a 42'' now and its more than big enough for me, so I mostly just care about picture quality.

·
Registered
6,242 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vader182 /forum/post/19550381

I have a 42'' now and its more than big enough for me, so I mostly just care about picture quality.

Sounds like you already had your mind made up.

Get the one that you want and don't listen to us. You'll be happier in the long run.

·
Registered
662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoilerJim /forum/post/19550438

Sounds like you already had your mind made up.

Get the one that you want and don't listen to us. You'll be happier in the long run.

Haha, no it's not that. I'd very much prefer to keep the LG as it'd just be more convenient + much bigger screen which would be lovely. With that said, I care more about screen quality than screen size, and I'm concerned the Vizio much better screen quality from some reviews I've said.

It seems it has drastically better blacks than the LG (who knows if they reviewed the IPS or VA though since many users on here say the IPS has quite good blacks) but it still has some decently bad blooming.

In terms of pure picture quality, what do you guys recommend then?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts