AVS Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First I'll address the elephant in the room. Yes I am new to this forum and yes I did a google search (many searches) to try to find a answer yet I have not found anyone's circumstance as close to mine.

TL'DR My Vizio is fried. What is fried I'm not sure. I suspect main board or power board or both. There is no power going to the TV anymore even when plugged in. How can I fix it?

I've owned my Vizio XVT473SV for almost 4 years now. It was a refurbished unit. For the first year and half it ran without any problems. After I started having screen issues where randomly the picture would freeze at a frame but sound and everything else worked. I would have to hard reset or power cycle the TV, the TV goes into a booting sequence (flashing vizio logo) that takes 1-5 minutes. After that I would have clear picture with no interruption for hours. It seems whenever I started the TV from a cold boot or long hours of not using it I would have this issue. Other than the picture freezing when I started the TV from cold boot I would get a distorted picture, where the color is extremely contrasted. Here is example.

I've had these issues for years and I just sucked it up since the TV worked as long as I did the power cycles I was able to use it. Which brings me to the state of the TV now. I haven't used the TV a lot lately. Its been about a full week since I last used it. I turn it on from cold boot and plug it into my laptop to use a external display. It connects to my laptop with little issue and I get picture but a little distorted. After 1 minute of being on, the screen suddenly turns off. I see sparks coming from the back and I smell something burning. At this point there is no power going to the TV. The vizio logo is no longer illuminated. Its plugged in a working outlet and still no power.

I'm not sure the extend of what was damaged. The TV has been out of warranty for a few years now. I contacted Vizio support but like other owners will say Vizio support is lacking and they also forward you to hiring a technician to diagnose and repair the TV. At that cost might as well just get a new TV.

If this is as simple as replacing a board or two I can do that easily but if there is damage to the LED backlight or the panel I'm better off shopping for a new TV.

I opened the back of the TV and took several pictures to examine any obvious damage. I'm not a electrician so honestly I don't know what I'm looking at. From what I see I don't see anything fried or burnt. I read it can be as simple as replacign a bad capacitator. Hopefully someone can tell me.

Thanks for reading guys.

Attachments

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Bump.

UPDATE: So I purchased a new power board and installed it. Now the TV receives power and goes through the boot cycle (blinking logo) but after that it does not turn on. I press the power button on the TV and press power on the remote but no response. What should i replace now?

1 - 2 of 2 Posts