AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just setup a new Vizio XVT553SV in our basement. Upstairs, we have a 2-yr old Sony KDS 60" rear projection TV that we have been very pleased with but Sony no longer makes a rear projection TV.

HD content (Netflix HD or PS3) looks good on the XVT (comparable to the Sony KDS, which is excellent in my opinion) but standard definition content is comparatively poor on the Vizio. The main difference is the amount of detail. Surprisingly, the larger Sony is resolving much more detail when displaying the same SD signal.

For the Sony KDS, I have the cable company's cable box taking the coax cable signal and sending a HDMI signal to the Sony. For the Vizio, I do not yet have a HD converter so I am taking coax straight to the TV.

Is the Vizio a poor performer for standard def signals? Is the Sony KDS series an unusually good performer for SD signals? Is my hookup method creating a comparison that is not "apples to apples"? Any ideas of why the Vizio's SD performance is less than the Sony's?

Our familiy watches a lot of SD content so this is definitely an issue for us.

thanks!

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
I'd say the main issue with your comparison is the fact that your sets use totally different technology. LCD's generally don't have great SD quality....some better than others, but none all that great.

Try moving the cable box to the LCD temporarily and see if it makes a difference, but I doubt you'll be satisfied regardless if you compare to the Sony.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have the Vizio XVT553SV as well and am very pleased with both HD and standard, in fact one of the reasons I got this model is because Consumer Reports rated both HD and Standard Excellent. BUT, I do not have anything to compare it to like you do.

I do notice that the definition of standard material varies considerably but attribute that to the source material.

As already mentioned, try the cable box on the Vizio.

I do not have a cable box yet and still trying to figure out how to get HD channels without it. I cringe at the thought of giving Cox Cable another $5 to get "free HD".

·
Registered
2,366 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hlbmab /forum/post/19807812

I have the Vizio XVT553SV as well and am very pleased with both HD and standard, in fact one of the reasons I got this model is because Consumer Reports rated both HD and Standard Excellent. BUT, I do not have anything to compare it to like you do.

I do notice that the definition of standard material varies considerably but attribute that to the source material.

As already mentioned, try the cable box on the Vizio.

I do not have a cable box yet and still trying to figure out how to get HD channels without it. I cringe at the thought of giving Cox Cable another $5 to get "free HD".

Can you mount an antenna......either exterior or in an attic? You would get the OTA locals for free.

·
Registered
11 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cawgijoe /forum/post/19808017

Can you mount an antenna......either exterior or in an attic? You would get the OTA locals for free.

I get HD for any over-the-air channels through the cable, I'm talking about the other channels that (it appears) only a cable box can decode. Seems that if you have a Cable Card the TV can decode the additional HD channels but I don't know anything about Cable Cards.

This should probably be in another thread but I haven't found the right one yet.

·
Banned
740 Posts
I've watched laserdiscs, VHS and Beta tapes, and even CED videodiscs on mine and they look good- I've seen some HD sets (particularly projection) that magnified the noise in analog sources but this looks better than my old CRT.

Cable is a rip-off, BTW.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts