AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there folks, I'm looking to see if anyone knows the secret handshake to get VLC to use my FusionHDTV 5 card. I'll settle for just getting it to tune something and show it on screen, but the ultimate goal is to stream/transcode content to my Android-based device. Also, I'm starting with ATSC, but tuning QAM would be even nicer. I should add that I'm using Win7 Ultimate x64. Any help given is greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Answering my own question, here's how I did it with an OTA signal:

Code:
Code:
vlc atsc:// :dvb-modulation=8VSB --program=1 --dvb-physical-channel=21
Just change the channel (and program, if there's two or more subchannels) to something appropriate for your area. My next step is streaming it on my Android device, and then maybe trying it with QAM.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hmmm... good question! I only have one card installed at the moment (and the foreseeable future, since both my tuner cards are PCI and the mobo I'm now using has only one PCI slot), but the VLC command line help suggests you can use --dvb-adapter= (though it doesn't mention how to find out which adapter is which, so maybe trial and error for now?).

·
Registered
1 Posts
In addition to the command-line there is also a GUI way to use digital TV in VLC player, but I don't understand how to use it. In the Media menu, you go to Open Capture Device. From there you get a dialog box, who's first control is a dropdown list called "Capture mode". This lets you select DirectShow, TV (digital), or Desktop. The TV (digital) option shows me this:

Now I know the first part lets me select the digital modulation that is being used to broadcast the signal that I'm trying to receive, so it will know how to demodulate it. I selected ATSC because I live in the US. Next I need to know what I should set the "Transponder/multiplex frequency" to. I don't even know what this controls.

I also need to know how to tune the channel. That is to say, I need to know how to tune to the base channel frequency (each sub channel like 4.1, 4.2, etc is on a different stream encoded in the data that's selected digitally, but each main channel like 4, 5, 7, etc is selected by frequency). Here's a table of TV frequencies in the US, including the ATSC carrier-wave frequencies for each channel: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_American_broadcast_television_frequencies

However VLC player offers neither a carrier frequency selection control, nor a channel selection control.

Furthermore, I don't know if my particular hardware is supported. I'm using a an external USB TV tuner dongle, not an internal PCI (or PCI-E) TV tuner card. The product I'm using is called WinTV-HVR 850. I know I can control its analog TV reception function via DirectShow mode in VLC player, but need to know if this product will support control of its digital TV reception function via VLC's "TV (digital)" mode.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.