AVS Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Why the hell does VLC not play HD audio?!! Am I the only one that doesnt have an option for 5.1 or 7.1 HD audio anywhere in VLC settings? Been trying t ofigure this out for weeks and have given up. please someone help me!

·
Registered
15,079 Posts
How do you know that it's not playing HD audio?

I decided to use a different media player because VLC was playing stereo audio files as if they were 7.1 soundtracks but with the other channels silent. Players which use DirectSound (which is what VLC uses) output over HDMI exactly the number of channels that you've configured in the Windows Playback Devices menu, no matter how many channels are included in the audio file. Players which can be configured to use WASAPI can output exactly those channels which are included in the audio file without having to use add-on plugins. See http://www.avsforum.com/t/1495316/which-media-players-reconfigure-hdmi-to-match-number-of-source-channels

Supposedly VLC includes code which can use WASAPI, but there doesn't seem to be any way to select it in the current version without recompiling VLC from scratch or using an add-on plugin.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts