AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi there,

i'm having a very frustrating time with ffdshow and vista media center. to summarize, i just did clean installation of vista ultimate on my htpc with a geforce 8300 motherboard. i installed the newest nvidia graphics and hdmi audio drivers and could immediately play all of my dvd rips through vmc without any problem. i then installed ffdshow and immediately i couldn't play my ripped dvds anymore. they would start to play, but without any audio, or with stuttering audio, and then after a few seconds of stuttering video, i get an error message saying "files needed to display video are not installed or not working correctly". i tried uninstalling and reinstalling ffdshow with absolutely no luck. even after uninstalling it, i still can't play the dvd rips (i get the exact same error)! i desperately do not want to have to reinstall vista, so please, any advice would be much appreciated.

thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
TRhere's a tool that can show you the codecs being used and let you choose the one you want.

But that's messy.

Looks like you will have to reformat.

Never forget to use a ghost tool like acronis for your pc!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i figured out that it wasn't exactly ffdshow that caused the problem, but instead having my hdmi audio out set to 7.1. for some reason, when my nvidia hdmi audio driver is set to 7.1, it crashes vmc when i try to play movies. i had it set to 5.1 and everything was fine, but when i installed ffdshow, it reverted back to 7.1. anyways, now i have ffdshow installed and the hdmi audio device set to 5.1 and everything works great. i still don't know why setting the output to 7.1 crashes vmc, but my stereo is only 5.1 anyways, so i'm not going to exert myself trying to figure it out.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts