AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

My question is less about video playback load but more about the performance/smoothness of Vista Media Center's UI at high resolutions, ie. 1920x1080.

Is VMC's UI performance more dependent on having a better CPU or a better GPU? I'm looking at having a smooth experience at 1920x1080 (no sluggishness when browsing through a lot of media or menus etc.) but don't really intend to game with the box. Will an integrated Intel GMA 4500 be enough to deliver that in VMC along with an Intel C2D E8400?

A Dell Studio Hybrid review using a GMA x3100 (I know it's a much older card compared to the 4500) didn't look too promising (look up the Youtube vid. called "Dell Studio Hybrid Desktop PC (Part 3 of 3)") granted the CPU was a bit underpowered as well.

Thanks

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by pastishe /forum/post/15521364

good question, i'd like to know differences noticed

Yeah, I've been wondering this for quite a while since there also seems to be quite a few folks that run VMC on Mac Minis and those are even more underpowered with the GMA 950. Based on that video of the Studio Hybrid, it doesn't seem like they'd run it that well/smoothly.

·
Registered
615 Posts
AFAIK, if Aero is enabled, then the GPU will be used to provide certain features of it (transparencies and others), but if not, the CPU will provide the power to process the actual UI.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts