AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After calibrating my HLN61W 61" Samsung DLP, finalizing my home theater set-up (DVI and other cabling, power stabilization/conditioning, etc.) and finalizing my HTPC tweaks (dedicated additional power supply for 9800 Pro, Standard PC mode for power management, various registry and BIOS tweaks, disabling most XP services), I determined again that VMR9 provides the best image quality for DVD playback on my system. (P4 2.53 mhz - 1GB PC 2100 RAM - Intel 845 based mobo - Audigy SB 2 - ATI 9800 Pro with XP Pro patched up, Direct X 9.0b, ZP 3.2 Pro, WinDVD 5 platinum, Sonic filters, NVDVD 2.55, Recloc 1.0, FFDShow 052303, Powerstrip 3.4. I mostly use ZP+WinDVD 5+Reclock for film based material and have new Catalyst 3.7 drivers installed with AA and AF options turned up all the way. I use 1280x720 LCD custom resolution (@exactly 60hz - little different that standard 720p HDTV resolution) with fine granularity option for feeding my Samsung DLP via DVI - perfect 1:1 mapping, so no additional scaling ocurrs. Standard 720p HDTV resolution (per Powerstrip 3.4) is still scalled by my monitor - there is some grain as proof of scalling arifacts that is gone when I switch to LCD 720p resolution.

VMR9 playback provides the least amount of background noise with objects rendered more realistically in 3D space, while the edges of object also appear much smoother and lifelike (I guess AF+AA), with dark detail being a bit more visible. However, the overall image quality is not as good as using overlay mixer without setting my desktop color controls to what produces good result for VMR9. This setting is -25 for brigthness and +55 for contrast which of course renders my desktop unusable for other purposes without changing to normal color scheme through ATI control pannel. Without doing these adjustments, VMR9 image looks pale in comparison to overlay mixer. However, with proper adjustments for both renderers (overlay needs more gain only on brigthness side, and even little correction down on contrast side) VMR9 blows overlay away on my system.

To the best of my knowledge, VMR9 has no picture control adjustments supported currently by DVD players (NVDVD 2.55 video decoder has active picture adjustment controls in its "color" tab while in VMR9 mode, but I assume if they work at all, they would work only on Nvidia cards through what they call enhanced nview support) which is quite anoying. It looks like much more could be hiding inside VMR9 that we do not know (maybe other controls like gamma, luminance, input-output correction, etc. could be implemented through VMR9).

Here is what I found on MS site:

The IVMRMixerControl9 interface enables an application to manipulate the incoming video streams on the Video Mixing Renderer Filter 9 (VMR-9). This interface is intended for use by applications only; it should not be used by upstream filters.

GetProcAmpControl - Retrieves the current image adjustment settings, such as brightness, contrast, hue, and saturation.

GetProcAmpControlRange - Retrieves the range of values for an image adjustment setting.

SetProcAmpControl - Sets the image adjustment.

Link: http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/de...9interface.asp

Unfortunately, I lack DirectShow knowledge to implement this. It would be great if one of the more knowlegable members would take on this project for the benefit of all of us (Blight - this sounds like right down your alley - ZP is always on the cutting edge). Anybody experiencing the same problems with VMR9 renderer and picture adjustments?

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.