AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just upgraded my HTPC from an AMD64 3000+, with an ATI x800Pro to an AMD64 4600+ with an Nvidia 7800 GT. Both are displaying video over component out, but while the ATI card never had any problems, the nvidia 7800 Gt, is droping about 20% of all frames, the product works great on the LCD screen that is the primary (or secondary display), but drops frame instantly upon being run on the HTPC over component Video. The problem seems to be limited to VMR9, as overlay seems to work, but I do not want to use overlay, so that not a solution. During all this the CPU does not exceed 45%, so its not a CPU issue, and as I said ZP displays without a hitch on the LCd, but the TV drops frames like made, so my question is why and what can I do about it as this make the new HTPC unusable. I've never heard of such an issue with Nvidia cards before (by the way the overscan reduction is great on Nvidia and HDTV output was much easiler than the ATI card. and of coure I'm running 77.77 as these are the only drivers to support the 7800 GT).

ERIC

·
Premium Member
5,402 Posts
Read your post twice to see if the word renderless was somewhere :D .

You know, even if you have such a poweful card as the 7800GT you'll need VMR9 exclusive renderless mode to make it play smooth. Have you?

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
What is your output res via component? People claim all the stuttering problems were fixed w/ the 7xxxx series cards. Boy, what a bummer.....

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I've been playing around some more since the first post and yes I have tried Exclusive Fullscreen mode and its seems to work better except that reclock refuses to load, as it says "Video card not compatable with reclock". Also I can not get a OSD in this mode which is an issue. also any attempt to open another window cause ZP to crash, but it does playback corrctly. as the 7800GT is much faster than an x800 Pro, and it worked windowed, why would this be necessary?

To answer qpost 3, I'm running at 1080i which is then reduced to 1688x960 via the overscan reducer.

Thanks,

ERIC

·
Premium Member
5,402 Posts
As a dual display user I DETEST exclusive renderless! So I know how you feel.

·
Registered
2,164 Posts
Reclock can work in Fullscreen renderless exclusive, you just have to change a setting, I forget which. I got it to work with Mediator but it clipped sometimes so I'll wait for a more stable version or until I figure out what was causing that clipping before using it fulltime.

Cheers...

Duy-Khang Hoang

·
Registered
5,342 Posts
Fron another thread:

The 7800 can handle 1080I sources just fine and provides hardware assist for them. What it can't do and shares this limitation in common with all the other nVidia cards is play video smoothly and without tearing onto a 1080 display using VMR9 without using exclusive full screen mode.

This is not a driver issue, so I don't see it being resolved at any time.

NVidia has apparently made a decision that forces its customers to use exclusive full screen mode if they want to use VMR9 and have a 1080 display.

ATI doesn't have this restriction, but ATI doesn't have the image quality for video playback that nVidia has.

You pays your money and you takes your choice.

There is nothing more I can say.....

Vern

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.