AVS Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just burned a one- 45 min video from my panny DMR-EH69 on to a DVD-R. when I put it in my computer and open up the DIsc the video is divided into 3 different files. Why is that ?

its a one shot recording, not even using a dual layer disc. why is the video divided up ?

and also any suggestions on the best File to convert VOBs to without losing quality ?

I usually use MPEG, MPG

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
A VOB has a max size limit of 1 GB, therefore most programs will have more than 1 VOB.

Your VOBs are already mpg2 files.

When I record with my Panny I use DVD-RAM discs. These create a single VRO file on the disc no matter how many programs you have on the disc. A VRO is also an mpg2 file. I find it easier to dump this single file to a PC in order to edit it.

·
Registered
13,391 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by champer /forum/post/20860452

I just burned a one- 45 min video from my panny DMR-EH69 on to a DVD-R. when I put it in my computer and open up the DIsc the video is divided into 3 different files. Why is that ?

its a one shot recording, not even using a dual layer disc. why is the video divided up ?

and also any suggestions on the best File to convert VOBs to without losing quality ?

I usually use MPEG, MPG

There are lots of files created with DVD Video. Can you be more specific and list the files you are confused about.

Also, look up the program VOB2MPG for conversion.

·
Registered
771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson /forum/post/20861185

There are lots of files created with DVD Video. Can you be more specific and list the files you are confused about.

Also, look up the program VOB2MPG for conversion.

3 VOB files that are 0.99 GB each

·
Registered
13,391 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by champer /forum/post/20864549

3 VOB files that are 0.99 GB each

OK, that is part of the DVD-Video standard, to split up a .VOB into 1GB chunks on the disk. The .IFO file contains all the pointers for playback and chapter points. Use VOB2MPG to assemble the .VOBs of a title into a single .MPG file. Be aware that you will no longer have chapter points or subtitles afterwards, just audio/video.

·
Registered
771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thought id ask this here to instead of making another thread. Im transferring videos off of my Panny DMR-E85h to my EH69. is it better to burn the videos on to a disc from the 85 and then put the disc in the eh69 and dub from there ? or record the videos being played from the HDD off of my 85 on to my EH69 with S video ?

·
Registered
4,747 Posts
champer, it would be best to use DVD-RAM disks for transferring content from your E85 to your EH69. The transfer is much faster than real-time, and you will not lose any quality. I don't remember if my EH69 came with a complimentary -RAM disk, but my E85 did, so you likely have at least one lying around somewhere. They can be reused a great many times.

·
Registered
771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Church AV Guy /forum/post/20881887

champer, it would be best to use DVD-RAM disks for transferring content from your E85 to your EH69. The transfer is much faster than real-time, and you will not lose any quality. I don't remember if my EH69 came with a complimentary -RAM disk, but my E85 did, so you likely have at least one lying around somewhere. They can be reused a great many times.

out of the 2 i listed, which is better though ?

·
Registered
13,391 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by champer /forum/post/20882051

out of the 2 i listed, which is better though ?

Church answered the question. It is better to burn a disk to do the transfer which keeps everything digital -- and RAM disks are indeed disks. They are re-writable disks that the Panasonic recorders favor above all others.

·
Registered
771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson /forum/post/20884965

Church answered the question. It is better to burn a disk to do the transfer which keeps everything digital -- and RAM disks are indeed disks. They are re-writable disks that the Panasonic recorders favor above all others.

Bought a pack of 5 for 10 bucks at frys, panny brand. they do the job pretty good. thanks.

whats the bennefits though of using DVD-RAM over DVD-RW ?

·
Registered
13,391 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by champer /forum/post/20906773

whats the bennefits though of using DVD-RAM over DVD-RW ?

Longevity -- RAMS last forever. I never got more than about 20 full disk burns on a DVD-RW before I would start to get verify errors and had to toss the disk. I used a small group of RAMs for years and never had one go bad.

·
Registered
771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson /forum/post/20906984

Longevity -- RAMS last forever. I never got more than about 20 full disk burns on a DVD-RW before I would start to get verify errors and had to toss the disk. I used a small group of RAMs for years and never had one go bad.

you can erase the data alot faster off a DVD-Ram compared to a DVD-RW I noticed.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.