AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a bunch of DolbyDigital trailers in .VOB format, does anyone know how to burn them correctly to DVD-R so they will play on my stand alone DVD player? I tried using Nero & MyDVD but it doesn't seem to be working.

·
Registered
2,433 Posts
There's not too many programs that will accept VOB files. Most will want the audio and video separate. You could demux each VOB and import those files into a good authoring program or you could use IFOEdit to create new supporting files for the VOB's. One thing that can cause issues is if the sound track is different for each. If they're all DD then it should not be a problem.

The tools you need can be found here: www.doom9.org

All the programs are freeware except for the authoring programs and possibly the burning application. If you insist on using NERO, make sure you have the very latest version. Earlier versions had problems creating compliant DVD's. Feel free to PM if you need any more help.

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
There is one DTS trailer but I can omit that. If I demux the VOB's will I lose 5.1?

Also what do you consider a good authoring program? Thanks.

·
Registered
756 Posts
This leads to an interesting question. I have a lot (>100 hours) of edited dv. At the moment it is sitting on several disks connected to a macintosh. The sony dvd burner I have is stilling on pc running XP Pro. The video is all in quiciktime format (full dv resolution 29.97 fps). I don't have any authoring software on the mac, otherwise I would build an .iso and then copy to the pc for burning.

Will NERO be able to build the proper files from a quicktime source so that I can burn a dvd-+r that will work in a stand alone player? Or do I need to perform some sort of processing on the quicktime file first

·
Registered
2,433 Posts
DRS. No, demuxing will not change the video or the audio at all. I use Scenarist and DVDMaestro for DVD authoring.

Salin, NERO will not convert QT to MPEG2 (DVD Format). You'll need to re-encode the files to MPEG2. You can get an MPEG2 plug-in for NERO but I don't believe it will handle QT files. For that you'll probably have to use something like TMPGEnc or Cinema Craft Encoder.

·
Registered
976 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by DRS
I have a bunch of DolbyDigital trailers in .VOB format, does anyone know how to burn them correctly to DVD-R so they will play on my stand alone DVD player?

So long as they are each less than 1 GB in size (which is true for your trailers) snd fit into one file, DVD Jr. can author these to a dvd-r, with a menu. The time codes may be messed up if a trailer consists of 2 or more vob ids, but Sony dvd players are not sensitive to this error.

The no cost way is to use ifoedit to create an ifo file for each trailer. Each trailer will be done as a separate title, so file renumbering is necessary. Borrow a master ifo file (video_ts.ifo) from one of the trailers or cook one up yourself. This must be manually edited for each title you include. Look for the thread about authoriing 2 or more movies on one dvd-r or -rw, on doom9.org 's IFOEDIT forum. You use the title advance feature of your dvd player to get from one to the next. Some dvd players will play all titles in sequence, others stop at the end of each title.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.