AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,562 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm not sure where to post this but since I'm using an HTPC for playback I put it here.

Last night I watched X2: X-Men United using CinemaNow, a VOD service. The concept worked great but the picture was too soft even though the colors, contrast, and sound were terrific. My DVD's play back with much better resolution. I am trying to understand what the limitation in the resolution is. Is it because they are limited to a low bit rate by the studio? Are they limiting it on purpose in order to minimize the download time? Are they ignorant of our crowd that wants higher resolution? They use WM9 and DRM9 for encoding. I thought these encoders allowed for HD resolution.

If they fixed this issue I would switch from Netflix.

Anybody know what's going on?

Jack

·
Registered
408 Posts
They do, but they would not be able to stay in business encoding everything to HD and allowing users to eat a Gb of bandwidth for $4 (or however a VOD title costs). So the only solution is to compress the heck out of the movie to an 'acceptable' viewer experience.

Stick with Netflix. High quality unicast VOD is ahead of its time, since the pipes and bandwidth aren't large enough or priced low enough respectively.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.