AVS Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it possible to wire 2 speakers, both with 2 2ohm voice coils each, to represent a 4ohm load?


it seems to me that you could just wire one coil per woofer, and hook them in series, but is that ok to do?


What other options are there?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
14,929 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audiophile34 /forum/post/20808992


Is it possible to wire 2 speakers, both with 2 2ohm voice coils each, to represent a 4ohm load?


it seems to me that you could just wire one coil per woofer, and hook them in series, but is that ok to do?


What other options are there?

that typically changes the parameters of the speaker and especially if you made a custom box, it could be very detrimental. I asked this question not too long ago. I wish you could too
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,799 Posts
Yes you can do that. Ts parameter changes should be slight, not dramatic.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
14,929 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gooki /forum/post/20809598


Yes you can do that. Ts parameter changes should be slight, not dramatic.

depends on the driver, i know with my tempest the qes and qts doubled from .47 to around .9, Im not positive what this actually means for the driver, if you care to educate me, but i didnt want to take that chance not knowing the consequences...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Would this be better than only wiring one coil?

http://www.adireaudio.com/Files/RDOOperation.pdf


The drivers in question are the dual voice coil 2ohm ed 18 inch..


Series : O-Series v.2

Model : 19Ov.2 Subwoofer

Avaliable Voice Coils : D2

Enclosure Size : Sealed 2.5 - 3.0 cF

Vented 3.5 - 3.5 cF

IB Capable - Yes

Rec. Power Application : 600 / 1100WRms

Qts:.369 - Vas:228L - SPL:90.5dB - Xmax:22.0mm


what do you think about that?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
14,929 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audiophile34 /forum/post/20811622


Would this be better than only wiring one coil?

http://www.adireaudio.com/Files/RDOOperation.pdf


The drivers in question are the dual voice coil 2ohm ed 18 inch..


Series : O-Series v.2

Model : 19Ov.2 Subwoofer

Avaliable Voice Coils : D2

Enclosure Size : Sealed 2.5 - 3.0 cF

Vented 3.5 - 3.5 cF

IB Capable - Yes

Rec. Power Application : 600 / 1100WRms

Qts:.369 - Vas:228L - SPL:90.5dB - Xmax:22.0mm


what do you think about that?


Read second page of your link, just to gain more power from your amp, you are going to sacrifice 3db's of sensitivity, AND your power handling will more than likely be down 25%. Once it is all said and done, the extra power you manage to extrapolate from your amp will end up driving a "less efficient" sub. If it is a true 3db drop, you would need double the power to get it back to where you were anyways!!!


Im assuming your trying to milk your amp for all its worth?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I am looking for drivers that I can use in dual opposed setup, that will in the end allow me to use my ep4000 a little more efficiently...right now with the mfw's limited current handling capabilities, I have to run in 8ohm so I don't melt them...


I cannot help but feel that if I could find new drivers, that could handle the current, that I would gain more headroom for those peaks.


I am happy with the output that I have, I just don't like having to drive the amp to clip to get said output..
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
14,929 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audiophile34 /forum/post/20812949


I am looking for drivers that I can use in dual opposed setup, that will in the end allow me to use my ep4000 a little more efficiently...right now with the mfw's limited current handling capabilities, I have to run in 8ohm so I don't melt them...


I cannot help but feel that if I could find new drivers, that could handle the current, that I would gain more headroom for those peaks.


I am happy with the output that I have, I just don't like having to drive the amp to clip to get said output..

that is why i just switched for some more power to the f-20's, having the subs where I liked them for the moderate scenes always caused clipping in the MEGABASS scenes and I hated it. I want both!


plug in your subs here and see what options you have http://www.the12volt.com/caraudio/boxcalcs.asp
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
how do you like the f20? Does the cabinet vibrate like crazy when being pushed? The only easy I can see me getting an f20 into the room would be if I could make one side a bookcase or something .. other than that, I don't see the WAF being to high...
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
14,929 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audiophile34 /forum/post/20813965


how do you like the f20? Does the cabinet vibrate like crazy when being pushed? The only easy I can see me getting an f20 into the room would be if I could make one side a bookcase or something .. other than that, I don't see the WAF being to high...

It is killer!! I will finally be able to really dial it in hopefully this weekend, but so far, the bass is clean, tight, and with the weight of the enclosure, it really doesnt move a whole lot. Now that im pushing 1000 watts to the tempests tho, it might start dancin a little
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
so what did you do with your old mfw's?


for sale?
 
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top