AVS Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright this is my very first post, I'm a complete idiot noob so please be gentle.

I'm looking to start a theater set-up from scratch, and one of the biggest problems I have with my current set of speakers (very very old no-name brand) is that voice volumes on DVDs are so low they are hard to make out what's being said. I find myself cranking the volume to almost the highest levels, only to get blown out of the seat once the music kicks in on a film.

To remedy this, I'm thinking I should be getting the biggest, loudest, center channel I can possibly find (Klipsch..Polk...Bose...JBL?) and pairing them up with some quality tower speakers for the front L&Rs. My budget is probably going to be about $2500 just for the speakers.

I'll be setting up in a medium sized basement area. Any ideas, or am I completely on the wrong track? I'm looking for suggestions on models that will get me deep, clear voice tracks, a complete quality speaker set-up if you can point me in a good direction.

Thanks in advance for any help to this newb.

·
Registered
325 Posts
ok I'm going to be nice... NO NO NO on baddest center channel.. haha... its not the speakers, its the calibration. Now granted your speakers could suck, but when you step up to something that is even remotely decent you will improve them by calibration, essentially in a noob way of explaining it, your front sound stage will be as one, no matter how far away each speaker is or how large, you will calibrate them to a specific decibel so that it reaches your listening area all at one nominal level, likewise with the rear.

2500 can do alot, can you post your actual room dimensions? is there carpet in there? you might consider atleast the area your theater will be in as it improves sound quality for sure, atleast in my experience from hardwood floors to carpet now.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
But I calibrated the center channel to be much louder than the two fronts and it's still not loud enough for me (during the dialogue), so I'm thinking of getting an entirely new center channel. Do I need to be looking at wattage or MHz, or some kind of power indicator? Or should I just focus on a set from a good brand (Polk? Bose? Sony?). Sorry for the stupid newb questions. I appreciate all the help.

I'm pretty sure the speakers just suck. They are over 12 years old and cost less than $300 total for all. KLH brand. When you say something like "remotely decent" I'd expect to pay close to $2,000.

·
Registered
136 Posts
DVD has a broad volume range thus raucous sounds such as explosions are intended to be much louder than normal dialogue. Having said that, if you need to increase the volume to *unreasonable* levels to hear the dialogue then there is probably something wrong with your setup.

Some (most?) receivers have a "night mode" that compresses the volume range - if your receiver has this feature perhaps give it a try.

·
Registered
66 Posts
You might look at any of the following:

Bose Acoustimass 16 + A/V Receiver

Bose Acoustimass 10 + A/V Receiver

Bose Lifestyle 28 DVD Home Entertainment System.

All have the Cube Speakers Bose in known for and they all provide exceptional sound quality.

·
Registered
1,465 Posts

Quote:

All have the Cube Speakers Bose in known for and they all provide exceptional sound quality.

LMFAO!

Bose is the worst value in home theater. They would be overpriced at 100 dollars.

·
Registered
1,526 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by yamahareciever /forum/post/0

Bose stinks. They don't cover all frequencies, which is why they don't provide the frequency range for their speakers. Once you go through all the hoops to get the numbers, you see why they hide the info- a bunch of info simply disappears because the speakers can't reproduce it.

Avoid Bose, even if they are cheap, cheap, cheap, they are still overpriced...

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by eRav3r /forum/post/0

DVD has a broad volume range thus raucous sounds such as explosions are intended to be much louder than normal dialogue. Having said that, if you need to increase the volume to *unreasonable* levels to hear the dialogue then there is probably something wrong with your setup.

Some (most?) receivers have a "night mode" that compresses the volume range - if your receiver has this feature perhaps give it a try.

Range Compression sounds like a nice feature, though I don't think my receiver supports it (it is much newer than the speakers though). Wow, so I guess Bose is living strictly off its name brand. What about JBL or Yamaha, or Klipsch, or Sony?

What setups do you all typically use? And is loud volume jump during music normal for you folks, so that you need to keep your hand on the remote at all times? I just find it weird how I've seen setups that have these huge front towers for the L & R, but the center speakers look so small. Doesn't dialogue come primarily from centers?

·
Registered
136 Posts

Quote:
Doesn't dialogue come primarily from centers?

Yes dialogue is sent primarily to the center speaker.

Quote:
And is loud volume jump during music normal for you folks, so that you need to keep your hand on the remote at all times?

There are times when I lower the volume during loud scenes but its rather rare and usually only late at night (I rent an apartment).

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.