AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know it's nothing too exciting compared to what goes on around here but I thought I would post anyway.

I had been eagerly waiting for the volts to come back in stock ever since I got my fusion 8's done. They finally did and I ordered right away. I purchased 4 kits with the flat packs. You guys can probably take a guess at how they were packaged so I won't waste time going there. Here they are in my office unboxed and ready for some glue!

Attachments

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Table Desk Furniture Workbench Room
Wood Table Plywood Machine Furniture
Box Room Furniture Table Wood
Floor Laminate flooring Hardwood Flooring Wood flooring

Boxes are built all but the baffles. Crossover components are glued down. This is my first experience putting together crossovers. I was a little nervous but with the pictures on DIYSG it was no problem. This morning I soldered two of them and will get the others done tomorrow.

Where is the best place to mount the crossover in the angled flat pack box? I am thinking the top??

·
Registered
3,383 Posts
View attachment 656929 View attachment 656937 View attachment 656953 View attachment 656961
Boxes are built all but the baffles. Crossover components are glued down. This is my first experience putting together crossovers. I was a little nervous but with the pictures on DIYSG it was no problem. This morning I soldered two of them and will get the others done tomorrow.

Where is the best place to mount the crossover in the angled flat pack box? I am thinking the top??
You can mount them wherever they fit but just choose the place that they'll be furthest away from the speaker magnet. Looking good!

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well then the top wouldn't be the best then because it would be the closest to the magnet. The boxes are tiny so if i put them down towards the bottom i am afraid they would be visible through the port plus I want to mount the recessed terminal on the back close to the bottom.

I will check to see how they fit on the side, maybe??

Probably a stupid question, but can you paint the crossover black? Then it would not be noticable if looking into the port.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Looking great! Did I read correctly that you glued down the coils and larger capacitors on the crossovers? Did you use hot melt glue or some other adhesive? That's important as the solder alone will not hold the heavier components on the PCB.

As has been said, mount the crossovers wherever they'll fit, as far away from the magnet as possible. Not any easy task in such a small box, but do the best you can. :)

Are you planning on lining the box with some foam or polyfil-type material? Again, it's a small box but some lining to kill resonances will help the sound.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yes, I did glue the all of the components of the crossover to the board before soldering. I used hot glue and zip tied the large capacitor on as well. Did I follow the right process?

On my fusion 8's I used a mattress topper from Walmart to line the sides but no fill. I purchased some polyfill to use on these. I did not plan on using the mattress topper in these but I can if that's recommended. I also plan on pulling the fusions apart and placing some fill behind the woofer as well. I am open to thoughts on what would be best for these.

I just about have all of the crossovers soldered, then I will figure out the best placement for them. I want the recessed terminal to be on the back of the box as they will be on the wall up at ceiling angle and my speaker wire is coming through the wall about 10" from the ceiling. It looks like there isn't enough room on the back panel above the port to place both the terminal and the crossover. I am sure I will figure out something.

Can't wait to hear these compared to the Fusion 8. Any thoughts on comparing the two?? I think I remember reading one of the reviews on them where someone had both and said they were pretty equal. I just can't believe these little things can hang with the fusions! I guess I'll find out soon enough!

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Yep, you assembled the crossovers correctly. Just wanted to make sure you glued/ziptied the big parts. Lots of folks don't know to do this...just trying to take care of you. :)

The worry with loose polyfil in a ported box is the polyfil winding up blocking the ports. If you have mattress topper left over, that would be the way to go. You could always use polyfil batting. It's like stuffing but made into a sheet. This stuff: http://www.walmart.com/ip/X-Loft-100-Polyester-Batting-110x110/17330711

If you haven't glued the baffles on yet, that would make it much easier to use a staple gun to attach the topper/batting to the enclosure vs. having to use spray glue. I hate that stuff and stopped using it years ago. Now it's electric staple gun all the way.

Your build is going great! Keep it up!

BTW, the coaxial Volts will surprise you with quality and quantity of output. You'll need to highpass appropriately, of course....subs, these aren't. But the Volt series is a solid home run.

·
Premium Member
5,621 Posts
So, how close is too close

Why is this not a thing in DIY FAQ'S?

My Fusion 15's, on the xo under the woofer, no component is any closer than 4 1/4"
Is that OK?

good info please, even a pm

thanks

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
That's a really good question. I'm not an engineer or an expert of any kind, but the answer is "It depends." Depends on the diameter of the magnet, possibly whether it's an old fashioned big magnet (can't remember the material) or Neodymium. Also depends on the size and orientation of the coils/chokes on the crossover board.

In my 88 Specials, the crossovers are mounted right where you see them in the attached pic. The body of the CD is highly magnetic and is probably 1.5"-1.75" from the outer edge of the large coil at the bottom right of the PCB. Is that too close? Dunno. Everything sounds fine to me.

I guess the 100% correct answer is "Mount the crossover completely out of the range of any magnetic fields." But that's pretty difficult in small cabinets.

So that's my "non-science guy" answer. :D

So, how close is too close

Why is this not a thing in DIY FAQ'S?

My Fusion 15's, on the xo under the woofer, no component is any closer than 4 1/4"
Is that OK?

good info please, even a pm

thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hey that's the same mattress topper I used in my fusions! $10 from Wally world? Still have enough left for the volts too!

I am thinking of mounting them on the side if they will fit. I will check that in the morning when I get to work.

·
Premium Member
5,621 Posts
FYI
a message from Erich at DIYSG: magnet and XO proximity is not an issue and even less if the magnet is one of those neo-unobtainium types

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
This morning I got the crossovers finished up. When I went to solder the speaker wire I notice it was harder to keep it poked through the board than the crossover components. My solution was to stick it in and put a little dab of hot on the insulation to hold it while I soldered. Worked really well and I'm sure it's nothing new and what everyone does made me feel smart for a minute!

Crossovers will mount on the top of the enclosure since its not a big deal being close to a magnet.

Next up is drilling holes for the terminals! Will get that done later today hopefully Electronics Green Electronic component Technology Electrical network
Table Furniture Room Desk

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
I put mine on the back top. They seemed to fit best there. I used a top speaker connect and hung them from the ceiling for front heights.

You'll love these - but give them time to break in.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I sure hope so! If they are anything like the fusions I will be extremely happy. Two of these are for surrounds and the other two are for the pool/patio area. I plan on running a sub outside on the patio so the lows will be covered. I am thinking of building a cinema f20 and disguising it as a bench.

The part I am struggling with is deciding on what sub for the basement. Do I build the f20 and not worry about the ulf stuff since it is in a huge room or do an ib? It has been suggested to use 8 of the jbl 15's but I am having a hard time making a decision!

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Got the crossovers mounted. Decided the back wall close to the top was best. I made some 1/4" rubber grommets to use as spacers.

Also got the foam cut and stapled in the enclosure.

Next up is mounting the baffles and prepping for duratex! Cable management Technology Electronics Glass Audio equipment

1 - 20 of 56 Posts