AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
2,090 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Volt 8 LX Build Starts Tonight! Build thread with pics...

Hi all, haven't received my 1099 towers yet so going to start building what I do have - a pair of Volt 8 LX's.

Here's what I've got:

Crossovers:
Digital multi meter
40W soldering iron
Rosen core/lead/flux solder
Nice new wire stripper
What wire do I need??

Cabs:
TiteBond III wood glue
Fast Cap Glue Bottle
Wood clamps
What kind of adhesive/insulation do i need?

Would greatly appreciate anyone to chime and let me know what I missed! I will be updating this thread along the way.

Thanks for any help!

·
Registered
274 Posts
18 gauge speaker wire. some zip ties. hot glue gun is helpful. mattress foam at walmart. spray adhesive. If u have a nail gun, installation is so much easier.

·
Registered
2,090 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
18 gauge speaker wire. some zip ties. hot glue gun is helpful. mattress foam at walmart. spray adhesive. If u have a nail gun, installation is so much easier.
I've got 16g speaker wire is that OK?

will pickup zip ties, hot glue gun, mattress foam and spray adhesive. nail gun huh? i maybe could rent one...

Thanks Samarai

·
Registered
2,090 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

·
Registered
2,090 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
it all helps thanks!

crossovers complete! Took a couple hours to complete but I'm a novice; it will be much quicker next time. although not very experienced soldering, I have done some in the past and will say I do prefer the 40W iron i am using this round as opposed to the 25W I've used previously. This iron had enough heat to flow the solder w/o having to touch it to the iron which made things cleaner. I hooked up the compression driver and woofer and both seem to be working perfectly.
Is there a scientific way I can confirm that my crossovers are functioning properly?

can't say i've EVER glued up a box before lol. I do not have a nail gun; just about 10 clamps.
Any suggestions b4 i tear into it?

In regards to finish, I'd like to use that textured black finish I've seen on a few threads. What is that called and do I need a primer?

Attachments

·
Registered
170 Posts
Could you show us the bottom of your crossovers?

One thing I wanted to check for is to make sure you scraped off the reddish insulation on the big inductor leads.

Holes next to big inductor are for zip tie to hold it down.

Texture black finish is probably duratex. There are some "how to apply" videos on YouTube.

·
Registered
2,090 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

·
Registered
2,090 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Could you show us the bottom of your crossovers?

One thing I wanted to check for is to make sure you scraped off the reddish insulation on the big inductor leads.

Holes next to big inductor are for zip tie to hold it down.

Texture black finish is probably duratex. There are some "how to apply" videos on YouTube.
I will post a photo of the bottom sure thing Sean. Thanks for caring enough to help!

I hot glued the plastic 'feet' of the large inductor to the board. Is that OK?
Also, hot glued (small amount) the small inductor to the white resistors. Is that OK?

I'm supposed to scrape the red insulation off the leads? Thought I was to solder to the tinned ends?

·
Registered
2,090 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Did you solder to the tinned tips of the inductor, or did you cut the ends off? In the picture it's hard to tell on the large iron core inductor.

Did you read the 'Assembly Tips' page on the site?
Hi Erich. Yep I read it. I did solder to the tinned ends of the inductors but I also cut them off. The tinned ends were prob 1" long so I sort of split the dif, soldered to the tinned ends and then cut off excess lead under board. Is that OK? I assumed cutting off extra tinned ends would be OK as long as the soldered joint was to a tinned end, not the red insulation.

I'll try to get some closer pics up.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts