AVS Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I got both of my volt 8s wired up last night. I've experimented with 2 types of sound damping material. I've got some flat foam, about 1 inch thick, and some mattress topper egg crate foam (all I could find at the stores) which is about 2 inches thick.

In both instances, I connected the speaker to my center channel to see how they sound. Everything is great until I get some of the male vocals and low female vocals, and some explosions. I'm guessing this is in the 250hz range. The sound is a bit echoey... kind of a hollow, tinny sound. It's not very much, but I can slightly notice it.

So, should I change to some other sort of sound damping material, or am I just expecting too much from these speakers..

Thanks!

·
Registered
6,337 Posts
So, I got both of my volt 8s wired up last night. I've experimented with 2 types of sound damping material. I've got some flat foam, about 1 inch thick, and some mattress topper egg crate foam (all I could find at the stores) which is about 2 inches thick.

In both instances, I connected the speaker to my center channel to see how they sound. Everything is great until I get some of the male vocals and low female vocals, and some explosions. I'm guessing this is in the 250hz range. The sound is a bit echoey... kind of a hollow, tinny sound. It's not very much, but I can slightly notice it.

So, should I change to some other sort of sound damping material, or am I just expecting too much from these speakers..

Thanks!
I would try eq first. Add a 2db boost at 300 and maybe 1db at 400hz. So many factors with room being biggest culprit. I have a few demo tracks I use for voices. I know them well and rely on them more then measurements. Measurements can help isolate the frequency. I find with most minor issues eq works great . big issues need room treatments.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I don't have a mic that is specifically designed for making response measurements, but I do have some PC mics for voice chat. Would that work, or do I need a special mic like a Dayton EMM-6?

Yes I did have Audyssey active, but it was configured for my other speakers. I didn't think that would make that big of a difference, but I'll try running Audyssey with the Volts.

I'll have to see if my receiver offers the ability to set gains at selectable frequency ranges. I think the only option is Audyssey or a flat DB boost. It's a Marantz SR5007.

Thanks everyone!!!

·
Registered
67 Posts
I had the same thing happen to me when I added my Finalist Center Channel. I left the previous audessy cal on and the sound was very tinny. Once I recalced with audessy the speakers sounded worlds better. I would think that breaking the volts in would help also.

·
Registered
4,371 Posts
I don't have a mic that is specifically designed for making response measurements, but I do have some PC mics for voice chat. Would that work, or do I need a special mic like a Dayton EMM-6?
You can use the Audyssey mic.

Yes I did have Audyssey active, but it was configured for my other speakers. I didn't think that would make that big of a difference, but I'll try running Audyssey with the Volts.
Every time you move furniture, move speakers, or change speakers, Audyssey needs to be re-run. It makes a big difference.

·
Registered
4,956 Posts
Did you use any poly fill in the speaker boxes?

I agree with the others though, it is unfair to the speakers, and actually useless to listen to speakers using the calibration from a different speaker.

Turning Audyssey off complete and listening would be better if you don't have the time for a full calibration.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for all the suggestions :) I will run the Audyssey and re-eval later today.

As for the poly fill, no I did not use any. I just used the egg crate foam on the inside. I do have a bunch leftover from my ultimax build that I could try out after I re-test with a calibration.

·
Registered
3,086 Posts
If your old speaker had a peak at 1000hz audyssey would cut it down. If the new speaker has a dip at 1000hz that old audyssey calibration would cut that dip ever further. All it knows is cut x db at x hz (or boost of course).

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ok, so I hooked up the volts in 2.1 config, ran the Audyssey, and did some more testing. Wow, what a difference that made. I wasn't giving Audyssey enough credit, it really does a drastic change on your speakers. The hollow sound is gone, and these things sound great! I dare say they give my mains a run for their money. The lows are a bit weaker, but still nice and smooth until the sub picks up. The detail in the mids and highs are wonderful.

After I was pleased with they way the volts performed, I hooked up the mains and got the volts on the wall, and performed a 5.1 calibration. After a little more tweaking, I had everything dialed in just right. Ran a few more tests and was very impressed by the results. I was hearing far more ambient sounds than before. It's not really a volume thing, but a detail thing. Things like water dripping, echos, distinct voices behind me, where all clear as day where before it was just a muddy mess (not that I should expect anything different from my old surrounds).

Thanks everyone!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts