AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey everyone. i have a few quick questions about my new setup. thanks for the opinions.

quick note: I am unable to run the system EQ on the HK because 5 speakers are required. All speakers are set to large.

setup:

HK 254

Dish network VIP 622

HD-DVD

Xbox 360

Wii

Apple powerbook 12"

Speakers:

RTi A3's

CSi A4

My questions are regarding the volume of the system. I have found that i have to turn up the volume on the system louder than what i expected to get the sound i wanted. the HK goes from 0-100 and also dB level. I turn it up to about 60 ( -40dB) on the scale to get comfortable TV watching. I was concerned that this was over 1/2 way. is this normal? I have a few DVD concerts that i have to turn up to like 70-75% to really get rocking. Is this normal that i have to turn it up so loud?. Most of the TV channels do not have very good sound at all. I have some of the HD movie channels and they do not sound much louder either.

·
Registered
3,323 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjones0404 /forum/post/15443964

hey everyone. i have a few quick questions about my new setup. thanks for the opinions.

quick note: I am unable to run the system EQ on the HK because 5 speakers are required. All speakers are set to large.

setup:

HK 254

Dish network VIP 622

HD-DVD

Xbox 360

Wii

Apple powerbook 12"

Speakers:

RTi A3's

CSi A4

My questions are regarding the volume of the system. I have found that i have to turn up the volume on the system louder than what i expected to get the sound i wanted. the HK goes from 0-100 and also dB level. I turn it up to about 60 ( -40dB) on the scale to get comfortable TV watching. I was concerned that this was over 1/2 way. is this normal? I have a few DVD concerts that i have to turn up to like 70-75% to really get rocking. Is this normal that i have to turn it up so loud?. Most of the TV channels do not have very good sound at all. I have some of the HD movie channels and they do not sound much louder either.

I will assume that you have two fronts and a center, no surrounds, no sub-woofer, and your room is average in size.....say appx. 10'x20'. A lot of things come to mind such as spkr. placement, room treatments and the size of your speakers. You have nice speakers, but they are not the most efficient and they only go down to around 50hz. This is not a bad thing. What you need is a good powered subwoofer. A sub hooked up will relieve the amp of having to work so hard to get loud, leaving all that reserve power for your spkrs.. In other words the sub has it's own power and your receiver can now easily drive the the front three spkrs.. Also 70db-75db is reference level.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.