AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am using the Zone 2 of a Denon 2307ci to power 5 pairs of speakers throughout my house. I am using a Dayton 10 location distribution module to do so. I have 1 dayton impedance matching VC (that I added) and the rest are Russound installed by the builder so I don't know if they are impedance matching and don't know how to tell but I do know they are less than a year old. Anyway, the problem is, in 2 of the rooms, only 1 speaker works. In the other 3 rooms, everything is fine. I have checked and double checked the connections and everything looks fine. The other odd thing is that I swear when I orginally turned them on after setting this up last week, both speakers in said rooms were working great. Now they are not. Is this an impedance matching problem? If so, how do I tell and if not, any suggestions on what to check next?

·
Registered
182 Posts
I'm probably way off base here but did you try changing the amp outputs to a different pair for that room. Like one that you're currently using for a room you know works.

I was just thinking that if you weren't using impedence matching VCs and the load on the amp was wrong then maybe you fried one of the amp outputs on that zone? Maybe?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Maybe I don't understand your question but my thought is that since, in 3 of the other rooms, both channels work fine, I would have to guess that both channels that I use on the Denon amp would have to be working properly. My guess is that the problem is in the distribution module or that I have to change the impedance matching settings on the Volume Controls themselves, something I have never heard of until today. Are there tell-tale signs that point to Impedance Matching issues?

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
A way to check to see if the VC's are impedence matching is to take off the cover and see if there is a small switch somewhere labeled 1x, 2x, 4x.

I think one of the problems is trying to run five pairs of speakers from just the zone 2. Zone 2 is designed to run two ideally and four pairs ok.

Another thing to check is see if the distribution hub is wired properly, you might only have that pair that works connected straight to the + and - terminals, just a guess.

Edit: I re-read your post and thought of something: I do now think it may be an impedence matching problem. The VC you installed may or may not be an IM and the Niles may or may not be. To check, see my instructions above and make sure all VC's are set to the same multiplier (1x, 2x, 4x) if they are IM, if they are not then what you are doing is running five pairs of speakers from the amp and seriously overworking it, this may be the reason all speaker pairs played at first but not now, too much of a load. The problem with an odd number of speaker pairs and IM volume controls is that there is never an odd multiple setting (except 1x) so what you might want to do is get a IM speaker selector to act as the impedence matcher and do away with the distribution block. They usually come in four or eight channel configurations so you'll have to get the eight channel model.

Interesting problem, let me know if this rambling advice helps!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I checked the Dayton 10-way Distribution manual at Parts Express and found that its purpose is to eliminate the need for speaker switching devices. I am concerned about having 5 sets of speakers, an odd number. Something I left out and I don't know if this matters, but technically, the 10-way distribution only has 4 runs back to it. The 5th speaker set was jumped from 1 russound VC to another via the output although I didn't mention it because both of those are working fine. Is the jumping a problem though? I will check the impedance settings on all of the VC's assuming they are all IM. I am assuming I should set the VC to 4X since the in-ceiling speakers are 8-ohm. I appreciate your feedback and would love to hear of any other ideas you may have. Thanks.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.