AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, just had a question about using a volume controller in line with some speakers. On my second zone, off of a Yamaha RX-V671 receiver, I use this volume control:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/russoun...gray/7911432.p?id=1218078607038&skuId=7911432

But, I've been through about 3 of these things now. Every time I get the "Check Speaker" on the front of the receiver, after it cuts out. This is after some time of course. And I'm noticing that this only happens at high volumes, passed the 1+ decibel range. Am I just putting too much power to this thing? I've even rewired the volume control. My third one has gone out and that's what prompted this thread.

If that is the case, is there a volume controller out there that can be placed outside and can support a higher wattage? The Russound website notes the one in the link as a 126W, but that seems very very high and I don't think it's anywhere near that.

Any suggestions would be awesome, even just to confirm that my idea of too much power being the issue.

Maybe this could fix it up? Niles makes cool gear, right?

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/niles-w...gray/6625306.p?id=1218078491593&skuId=6625306

Thanks guys!

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
I use to use a Leviton volume slider on my previous Onkyo 806 for my in ceiling speakers volume controll in my garage. Never had a issue with it, worked as described! I no longer use it as my Denon 4100 can controll zone 2 volume through the app now.

This ones rated 100w rms per speaker, and I used to crank it, never had any problems!

http://www.amazon.com/Leviton-SGVSM..._sbs_pc_6?ie=UTF8&refRID=0GWSSZN92JMRWE857QM3

If interested PM me, You can have it for the price of shipping.

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
Thank you so much, mate. I'm going to hold off on that one for now, just looking for something that can hold up to the elements.
I have used both brands- they're the same, although like everything else made in China, the seller determines the rating and tolerance to heavy use.

What is the output of the receiver? At full power, transformers saturate and resistors become hot, causing odd things to occur. Which type of control do you have- auto-former or resistor? make sure you don't have any wire strands touching where they shouldn't.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
According to the Yamaha website, the absolute power max is 125W - single channel driven. The Russound volume control is an auto-former. These terms are new to me actually. Would you mind explaining the differences between auto-former and resistor?

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I think the controller took too much power because when I removed the cover, there was this noticeable burning plastic smell. Some of the components even looked a little frayed.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.