AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am about to wire my outdoor patio and hope you can answer this question. My patio has two distinct sitting areas that I hope to put 4 speakers (2 sets of 2) in, but my AVR only has 1 zone to work with. I plan to control the amp via my wifi network. i plan to simply fork each of the red and black at the amp and make runs to the respective patio areas. Hopefully that is simple enough. However, I was thinking about putting in a volume control at one of the patio areas (the less used area). is this ok to do? my rationale for this is that usually all 4 speakers would be on simultaneously, and could be controlled generally via my phone app. but in certain instances, i might want to lower the volume to the second patio area independently. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
1,693 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. I didn't know that existed. However, that doesn't look "outdoor ready" to me. what would happen if i just hooked up a volume switch to one of the cable runs? from the sounds of it, the impedence would be a bit off, but is that going to damage my equipment or seriously reduce sound quality? sorry, audio newbie here.

·
Registered
4,587 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyhopps  /t/1468855/volume-control-with-2-sets-of-speakers#post_23233035

Thanks. I didn't know that existed. However, that doesn't look "outdoor ready" to me. what would happen if i just hooked up a volume switch to one of the cable runs? from the sounds of it, the impedence would be a bit off, but is that going to damage my equipment or seriously reduce sound quality? sorry, audio newbie here.

you cannot use a line level volume control in line with a speaker. It's not expecting to ever see a watt, so when you hit it with 10 watts, it will die promptly.

The L Pad from parts express is buitl to be mounted in something. You can pick up a simple project box and wire it up so that there are banana plug ins and outs, or whatever you want, but I wouldn't use the thing 'naked" because there'll be significant power present sometimes and a person could get hurt if they touched the electrically hot parts . . .

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
Yes, you'll need to integrate the volume control into your layout, a project box or panel mount of some sort. I had assumed you might wall mount it near one set of speakers, and I'd need some pictures to suggest anything more. An L-pad will maintain the same amplifier load, regardless the setting, allowing you to control the second speaker independently, but it'll never get louder than the first pair.

Have fun,

Frank

1 - 5 of 5 Posts