AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an Onkyo Receiver w/ 110 watts per channel, Lsi fronts, LsiC center, Rti 6's for rears... 7.1.

During some movies, the Volume just starts going down, the volume control does not go down, but you could tell there is a big decrease in volume.

Anyone have any clue. Using HD-Xa2 for player

·
Registered
27,567 Posts
Wow that's a new one....Likely it is your room acoustics or the disc. Random volume drops are a complaint I have never heard of in a receiver..

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
Did you notice the volume drops in "louder" portions of the movie? Are you playing back the Dolby Digital track? If so, you may have the "Late Night" feature turned on which is designed to restrain dynamic range. Just a thought.

·
Registered
652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balthazar2k4 /forum/post/0

Did you notice the volume drops in "louder" portions of the movie? Are you playing back the Dolby Digital track? If so, you may have the "Late Night" feature turned on which is designed to restrain dynamic range. Just a thought.

Did seem like the volume dropped during "louder" portions. Late Night feature is always turned off though.

It was this movie, and one other that I forgot the name of. I will see what my Dynamic Range control is at, and check if the Late Night function turned itself on somehow.

·
Registered
1,309 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockokma /forum/post/0

Did seem like the volume dropped during "louder" portions. Late Night feature is always turned off though.

It was this movie, and one other that I forgot the name of. I will see what my Dynamic Range control is at, and check if the Late Night function turned itself on somehow.

Out of curiosity, what are you using for a player? Many players have a dynamic range control in them as well. You might want to check there too.

·
Registered
652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Wow, it has done it again. Now with the movie "Stranger than Fiction". I have Dynamic Range Control on the HD-Xa2, on Auto. Doesnt really happen with louder parts or punchy parts. What's killing me is it happens at the same parts on only 2 movies now.

Anyone have a clue?

Could it be the lack of power to my Lsi 15's??? I am feeding 110w per channel.

Receiver settings? ugh...

·
Registered
175 Posts
The setup menu also includes a Dynamic Range Control, which defaults to Auto. Of course, the main purpose of this is to apply compression so that the loud passages aren't too loud for nighttime movie watching, or other times when you don't want to rock the house playing movies. According to the manual, this is not activated unless metadata in the content you're playing engages it.

Try turning it off and see what happens.

·
Registered
652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynx /forum/post/0

The setup menu also includes a Dynamic Range Control, which defaults to Auto. Of course, the main purpose of this is to apply compression so that the loud passages aren't too loud for nighttime movie watching, or other times when you don't want to rock the house playing movies. According to the manual, this is not activated unless metadata in the content you're playing engages it.

Try turning it off and see what happens.

Thank you for the input. I just tried this, and it did not help. I played w/ almost each setting in the receiver, and it did not help.

This might be more of a justification to upgrade

·
Registered
87 Posts

Quote:

Wow, it has done it again. Now with the movie "Stranger than Fiction". I have Dynamic Range Control on the HD-Xa2, on Auto. Doesnt really happen with louder parts or punchy parts. What's killing me is it happens at the same parts on only 2 movies now.

Anyone have a clue?

Could it be the lack of power to my Lsi 15's??? I am feeding 110w per channel.

Receiver settings? ugh...

Is the Onkyo receiver you have known to do OK with 4 ohm loads? Perhaps there is an overheating issue here?

I would have guessed it was Dynamic Range Control as well, but barring that all I can come up with is overheating due to 4 ohm load, presenting itself during loud passages....I assume the 110wpc rating you stated is for 8 ohm loads, not 4 ohm loads. Those LSi's are probably givin' the Onkyo's amp section a pretty good workout

·
Registered
652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by GelatinousFury /forum/post/0

Is the Onkyo receiver you have known to do OK with 4 ohm loads? Perhaps there is an overheating issue here?

I would have guessed it was Dynamic Range Control as well, but barring that all I can come up with is overheating due to 4 ohm load, presenting itself during loud passages....I assume the 110wpc rating you stated is for 8 ohm loads, not 4 ohm loads. Those LSi's are probably givin' the Onkyo's amp section a pretty good workout

That was my initial guess, but during Stranger Than Fiction, it happened during scenes with no dynamic power or louder than norm parts.

·
Registered
87 Posts

Quote:

That was my initial guess, but during Stranger Than Fiction, it happened during scenes with no dynamic power or louder than norm parts.

One check you could do is disconnect the LSi speakers (the 4ohm load) from the receiver and connect your rear RTi6's to the front speaker terminals. Then watch the movies that gave you problems before and see if the volume problem is still present.

If it's not, then it's possible the 4 ohm load caused the volume drop.

If the problem is still present, it sounds like a player or receiver issue.

·
Registered
652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by GelatinousFury /forum/post/0

One check you could do is disconnect the LSi speakers (the 4ohm load) from the receiver and connect your rear RTi6's to the front speaker terminals. Then watch the movies that gave you problems before and see if the volume problem is still present.

If it's not, then it's possible the 4 ohm load caused the volume drop.

If the problem is still present, it sounds like a player or receiver issue.

I really have no idea why I have not thought about that. Thanks, I'll give it a shot and let you know how it goes.

·
Registered
652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I put the Rti6's back in place, still going on.

I did buy this movie used from a sidewalk sale at Hollywood Video, with Stranger than Fiction, I'll try it on another system in a couple days

·
Registered
843 Posts

Quote:

optical

I own an a2 and I've heard of incorrect settings on the player causing an issue like yours when connected via optical. In the xa2 menu, set SPDIF to Bitstream and set HDMI Audio to Downmixed PCM. If the xa2 acts like the a2, this should cure your problem. Let me know if this helps.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.