AVS Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased the Onkyo TX-NR616 Receiver. I got everything hooked up and it performs beautifully but I have to turn it up to like 70-80 to get a loud volume when I turn on a movie or play a game. I checked the settings and made sure the volume limiter is off and I am kind of at a loss now. If anyone can suggest anything that may be causing this I would really appreciate it.

Thanks

John

·
Banned
16,231 Posts
What speakers are you using? Hard to say what is loud to you, too. What volume scale does that model use? Did you use the Audyssey speaker setup to calibrate levels? If you did run Audyssey what did the avr set your speaker levels to?

·
Registered
4,587 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrpeso13  /t/1522482/volume-issue-with-onkyo-tx-nr616-receiver#post_24480776

I recently purchased the Onkyo TX-NR616 Receiver. I got everything hooked up and it performs beautifully but I have to turn it up to like 70-80 to get a loud volume when I turn on a movie or play a game. I checked the settings and made sure the volume limiter is off and I am kind of at a loss now. If anyone can suggest anything that may be causing this I would really appreciate it.

Thanks

John

looks like you have the volume display in "absolute" mode (p 64 of manual). It goes to 99, and is denominated in decibels (dB). Every ten dB is ten times the power. So at 79, you are using 1/100 of the power you'd use at 99. At 80 you are using maybe 20 percent more. At 70 you are using just over 1/1000 of the power you'd use at 99.

SO you really are not turning it up very far at all. You just have to get used to how the decibel based display works.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHAz  /t/1522482/volume-issue-with-onkyo-tx-nr616-receiver#post_24481333

looks like you have the volume display in "absolute" mode (p 64 of manual). It goes to 99, and is denominated in decibels (dB). Every ten dB is ten times the power. So at 79, you are using 1/100 of the power you'd use at 99. At 80 you are using maybe 20 percent more. At 70 you are using just over 1/1000 of the power you'd use at 99.

SO you really are not turning it up very far at all. You just have to get used to how the decibel based display works.

That was exactly the cause. Thank you so much!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts