AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I'm building a house and am planning on having a receiver with two zones.

One zone will be used for the 5.1 setup and the other zone will be used for my rear patio and my ensuite. I'm planning on running wire to a rotary volume knob in both zones in order to be able to control the sound.

I'm currently looking at the following 3 knobs and am unsure which is the best:
Monoprice $19.97 (100 watt)
Russound Most expensive (100 watt)
Channel Vision Priced in between (says 300 watt)

All are impedance matching and all look the same so it comes down to performance. I will be using Klipsch CDT-5800s so I want something that will pass through the power well.

If you have any other tips or suggestions for my setup, please feel free!

Thank you

Edit: Is there a way to change the receivers settings from the ensuite without having to use an entire distributed audio system?

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
I'm not sure they make 5.1 volume controls. But I guess you could use three stereo volume controls instead (1 for L&R front, 1 for center, 1 for L&R surround).

As far as prices - they are probably in line with the brand and quality. Monoprice makes nice equipment, but isn't supporting a named brand (think of it as the "generic brand). Russound might be better quality, but you are certainly also paying a premium for the name brand. Channel Vision falls in between the two others.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by sic0048 /forum/post/18147677

I'm not sure they make 5.1 volume controls. But I guess you could use three stereo volume controls instead (1 for L&R front, 1 for center, 1 for L&R surround).

As far as prices - they are probably in line with the brand and quality. Monoprice makes nice equipment, but isn't supporting a named brand (think of it as the "generic brand). Russound might be better quality, but you are certainly also paying a premium for the name brand. Channel Vision falls in between the two others.

Sorry I think my description was off. The 5.1 for my living room will be on the main zone controlled by my remote control and will not use a volume knob.

The ensuite and the rear patio will be on zone 2 and both rooms will have their own knob.

I don't need something like this http://www.htd.com/whole-house-audio/basic do I? I think it will do the same thing I am trying to accomplish...?

·
Registered
10,873 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pswart /forum/post/18147920

I don't need something like this http://www.htd.com/whole-house-audio/basic do I? I think it will do the same thing I am trying to accomplish...?

No, you don't need it, but I think all of us here would recommend that you wire your house to allow for it later... (among other products that you may want someday)

Strongly recommend that you read David Feller's pre-wire ebook on this forum, and the House Wiring 101 / 102 guides over at cocoontech.

Jeff

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jautor /forum/post/18149068

No, you don't need it, but I think all of us here would recommend that you wire your house to allow for it later... (among other products that you may want someday)

Strongly recommend that you read David Feller's pre-wire ebook on this forum, and the House Wiring 101 / 102 guides over at cocoontech.

Jeff

I'm running Cat5 behind both of the faceplates for future upgradeability.

I will check out those ebooks though.

Do you know which of the rotary knobs listed above is the best buy?

Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
10,873 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pswart /forum/post/18149307

I'm running Cat5 behind both of the faceplates for future upgradeability.

Do you know which of the rotary knobs listed above is the best buy?

Good - cat5 cable at the volume control / future keypad location is important. Make sure you home run it all to the same location as the speaker wire.

No direct experience with any of those volume controls, but to answer your other question - there are volume control products that also have IR receivers built in for repeating IR at the remote zones to control the equipment. You can also use an RF remote (or convert your receiver's remote to RF with the NextGen battery system) to run things from the other room.

And I suspect that the monoprice volume unit will be just fine...

Jeff

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.