AVS Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it normal to have the volume level at around -15dB to -20dB for good listening on a Pioneer Elite VSX-84TXSi? Cuz that's around where I have to set the volume at to have it sounding good. It seems kind of high?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have to run mine around that sound level too. I have been using a 7.1 setup but have recently hooked up a Rotel Amp to drive the front speakers, so now the Pioneer only has to pump out 5.1.....and I still have to use around -15dB

I even tried to Bi-Amp the front speakers and still need -15dB and it didn't sound any better.

I can't find a way of switching off the front speaker output on the Pioneer as these are not required due to the Rotel amp powering my fronts. Does anybody know how?

·
Registered
6,607 Posts
A master volume setting of -15 dB seems to be too high? What is the context of that statement? Good listening of what? DTS movie? DD movie? CD? DVD-A? SACD? VHS tape?

Also, what is the calibrated Dolby Reference Level master volume control level that you use with that unit in your particular room?

·
Registered
6,947 Posts
That's not an unusual level.

BTW, I don't own a Pioneer, but I used one for a while. Also, I typically set my Anthem processor to around -15dB for playing movies.

·
Registered
6,947 Posts
Depends on whether or not your gear and or ears can take it.

·
Registered
387 Posts
These are the volume setting I am using for my VSX-84:

-35.............................Xbox360 (otherwise the police show up thinking there is a gunfight when I play COD2)

-25.............................HDTV

-20.............................Casual Movie viewings

-15.............................Xbox360 HD-DVD player (This usually creeps up due to the Xbox360 HD-DVD add-on bug)

-10.............................Full immersion, wall shaking movie viewing (Serenity, Star Wars, etc... I usually have to lower this though and it creeps down to -20 to -15 range)

·
Registered
786 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThaShef /forum/post/0

When I am watching movies or listening to music, its pretty common for me to get upto -1dB or even 0dB.

Is that a bad thing to do?

What speakers are you using? How big of a room?

I had mine up to 0 db one time and had to hold down the windows.

I generally play mine between -10 and -20 for BD movies and tune it down to -20 for CDs played on my Sony DVD player. (Stereo to Pro Logic II) This player generally has a higher output than my Panny BD.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I don't know what I did, but when I switch to different inputs, the volume levels seem to jump quite a bit. The screen also says "Dial +4" or something like that.

How do I change this?

All I want is for each input to have the same volume level so I don't have to change it every time I switch to a new component.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
811 Posts
I run my Elite 56TXi at around -12db for Dolby Digital and DTS movies. Normally I watch TV around -40db and listen to music anywhere between -24 to -10 db.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.