AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When recording or creating a video/movie for TV playback is there a program or way to level out the sound. We all know how there are some very loud parts of movies and some very soft parts as well. This, for me, requires constantly running the volume up and down via the remote which is ANNOYING. Surely there is a normalization method much like that used to burn MP3's. I primarily use Tmpgen or Nero.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Since you posted the question in this forum, we are assuming you are using a DVD recorder connected to your cable box or Antenna. if you are connected to a Cable - DVR box under settings you should be able to set the Audio to Fixed instead of variable.

On playback, disabling surround sound should also help you. most of the latest models of tv's have an option to disable surround, or audio effects.

·
Registered
5,562 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddreg /forum/post/15593921

When recording or creating a video/movie for TV playback is there a program or way to level out the sound. We all know how there are some very loud parts of movies and some very soft parts as well. This, for me, requires constantly running the volume up and down via the remote which is ANNOYING. Surely there is a normalization method much like that used to burn MP3's. I primarily use Tmpgen or Nero.

some recorders/players have a 'nighttime' audio feature, that limits the volume on disc playback. check your manual(s).

·
Registered
929 Posts
There is a hardware device that levels the audio signal. We are using that in our LPTV station, and it works very well. I would have to dig out some information on it, if you are interested in follow up.

·
Registered
2,995 Posts
If you are recording from the line outputs of a cable box, go into the audio setup menu of the STB, and set it for "maximum compression," and that will limit the dynamic range of the audio. It will not affect the optical, digital coax, or HDMI audio output of the STB.

·
Registered
1,819 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardT /forum/post/15600910

There is a hardware device that levels the audio signal. We are using that in our LPTV station...

With Comcast cable, I have a couple of channels where the volume is lower than the majority and a few where it higher. This gets me into trouble with my wife during my early AM insomnia sessions ESPECIALLY if I forget to adjust the volume when going from a 'lower' to a 'higher' and get that extra blast.

Recently, when speaking to a Comcast CSR for a video quality problem (Sci-Fi channel only), I asked about the audio - no clue. When a truck arrived (after I explicitly requested they look upstream at their headend first), the tech had no clue either. BTW, the video quality problem was FIXED *before* the truck arrived. What a waste of resources - if only the left hand knew what the right hand was doing.

Over at DSL Reports, one fellow seems to think it's the station's responsibility. As an employee at a station, do you agree?

Thanks!

·
Registered
929 Posts
In our station, cable is not a factor. Our network feed is satellite downlink, with occasional local input from dvd or tape (vhs). We have found that what we feed into the microwave at the studio pretty much determines what comes out from the tv transmitter "up on the hill". Dark picture in, dark picture out. Fuzzy picture in, fuzzy picture out. Loud in, loud out. Soft in, soft out.

Because our signals sometimes varied, even from the satellite feed, we took what action we could to give our viewing audience the most satisfying viewing experience.

My feeling is that it is not the responsibility of the cable company to clean up its input signal; it is the job of the signal provider to give a clean signal, on frequency, free of snow, hum, echos, feedback, whatever.

The cable company's responsibility should be to not pollute the signal.

These are just my opinions. What would the stations be like if you listened to them over the air? Or do you have friends that could receive the stations and tell you whether or which stations they have to adjust for volume?

My suggestion would be to contact the cable company AND the channel station, in a calm, understanding tone, not angry or demanding, explain the problem and ask for suggestions. Many of the OTA (over the air) stations we receive here are from translators that simply relay the main station signal, and when I've called about a problem, they thanked me, because they were unaware until someone lets them know.

Bear in mind, these OTA stations are free; they don't owe you or me anything. There are two knobs that I've found helpful. One is called "Channel Selector", the other is simply "ON - OFF".

1 - 7 of 7 Posts