AVS Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got a 605 and have everything hooked up. I'm wondering about the volume levels though. I have my XBox360 connected to the receiver via HDMI, and then the receiver connected to my TV. When I turn the 360 on, I have to have the volume on the receiver set at at least 60 for the audio to be at a decent volume. Anything below 50 is almost silent. Is this normal? Is there a way to change/adjust this?

Also, I have my Wii hooked into the receiver via component video cables and standard analog stereo audio cables. I then have a component cable running from the receiver to the TV. When I turn the Wii on, I get video, but the audio is super, super, super quiet. If i turn it up to the level where I can hear it, then I get a bunch of background noise in the speakers and everything just sounds bad.

If anyone could help me out with either of these, I'd appreciate it a lot. Thanks.

·
Registered
3,564 Posts
I don't have a Wii, but I read somewhere that there there's a volume setting in the setup that by default is set too high, probably high enough to overdrive the input on your receiver. If you can find it, try turning it down.

If your 360 sounds good, I wouldn't worry about the absolute volume number too much.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Remember, the scale on the 605 volume goes to 99, so 60 should be loud, but not blow you out of the room loud. 70 on the other hand is quite loud to me. Be sure to check the results of your Odyssey speaker setup, though, to make sure it didn't do something funky with the levels for your speakers. But basically, the answer is, at 60, your receiver still has a lot of headroom left.

As far as the Wii is concerned, I have mine connected to my 605 by component cables and L/R audio, then just the HDMI out of the 605 to my TV, my audio on the Wii is fine (PLIIx game mode is nice!). Don't forget to check the obvious and make sure the L/R audio cables are completely plugged in. I actually made that mistake myself.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks to both of you. Ok, I unhooked the component cable from the receiver to the tv, so now everything is running to the TV via HDMI, including the Wii. I not have proper sound from the Wii, but my image has disappeared. Anyone know what's going on?

·
Registered
3,564 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by biomechanoid999 /forum/post/12860426

Thanks to both of you. Ok, I unhooked the component cable from the receiver to the tv, so now everything is running to the TV via HDMI, including the Wii. I not have proper sound from the Wii, but my image has disappeared. Anyone know what's going on?

You unplugged a component video cable, and that fixed your sound and lost your picture? You might want to try explaining that one again

If you're using HDMI output make sure HDMI Monitor is on.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm confused too. Here's the setup, as it pertains to Wii:

Wii --> component video/stereo audio --> receiver --> HDMI --> TV

Under setup, I have the HDMI input set to IN 1 for DVD and IN 2 for Game/TV. HDMI monitor is set to YES. Everything else is set to "--".

I can get video and audio from my 360, which is hooked up to the receiver via HDMI. I only get audio from the Wii though.

·
Registered
498 Posts
If I'm reading this right, that means you're telling the 605 that your Wii is connected by HDMI. Try setting game/tv to the appropriate component input. also, verify that the L/R audio cables are fully plugged in.

·
Registered
498 Posts
well, verify the cabling, make sure you're setting Game/TV to the right component input. you shouldn't have to run component in/component out, it will work fine all outputting on the HDMI cable, just like my set up. So, verify the cabling from the Wii into the 605, then check again.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I've verified all cabling. If i go in and set every input option to "--", then I get sound and video from the Wii. However, when I do this, nothing that's connected to the receiver via HDMI works...

·
Registered
498 Posts
for HDMI input for your X-Box 360, set it to dvd or something other than game/tv to in1, leave the rest as --

next, go to the component video input setup screen, and leave everything -- except the game/tv, which needs to be set to the corresponding component input for the Wii. make sure HDMI monitor out is set to yes, then test that.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Fixed it. The problem was as you suggested: had my game/tv setting set for one of the HDMI inputs, but also for the component, so I switched settings around and now everything appears to be in working order.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yes, Wii audio is fine now. New problem: When running an HDMI source through the receiver, at volumes higher than 70 there's a humming sound emitting from all the speakers. In the 70s, it's pretty faint, but at 80 and higher, it's pretty noticeable. If I turn the receiver on without powering anything that's connected to it on, I can max the volume out and hear no humming. Soon as I disconnect an HDMI cable, the sound goes away...

·
Registered
498 Posts
you might want to search the official 605 thread on that one. Several people have reported the same problem, but it seems like most 605 owners don't have this issue. It seems to be really random, and would take some serious ninja troubleshooting to isolate. Good luck!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts