AVS Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i got 6 different zones in my house, each zone has a pair of 6" ceiling speakers and a impedance volume control. i have a denon avr2803 which i use onlyfor my home theater setup. i went out today and bought a pioneer vsx517k to power the 6 zones. i got all the jumpers(volume controls) set to 8. the pioneer only has the left/right's coming out of it to power the zones. i can't have the volume loud at all without the pioneer saying overload and shutting down. its loud enough to be backgound music but i would like it to be a tad louder(and no i don't mean bang your head type loud) but just a little louder then backgound music loud. what should i do? should i take back the pioneer and look for something else? i did't want to spend alot of money on this right now so thats why i got the pioneer, or does the problem lie with the volume controls? what can i do to get a LITTLE more volume?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i'll try fiddleing with it tomorrow. i did notice if i ran one zone only(1 pair speakers) with the volume on the impedance control turned down to like half, then if i tried to turn up the volume on the pioneer then it would still overload and shut down even though there was hardly any real loudness coming outta the speakers. it seems to be shutting down all the time when the receiver volume is around -30 to -38db's.

·
Registered
34 Posts
It sounds as though the impedance control(s) arn't working properly ?

If the amp can run 2 pairs of speakers properly without shutting down ? then it should also run 6 pairs speakers if the impedance is ok 4-16 ohms.

Can you try some separate speakers ?

Also if you can test with a multi meter what the cable says at amp end you should get a better idea , remember dc impedance is a little under the real impedance.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
where should the jumpers be set at(for six zones, 1 volume control each) should they be set at x8, x4 x2 or x1?? x8 is the quietest and x1 they are loudest, i'm not sure what i shoul have them at(i'm a noob)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts