AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3,433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2013/08/21/mike-bithells-volume-to-debut-on-ps4-and-ps-vita/

Quote:
Hello, I’m Mike Bithell, and I am a man who makes video games. The last game I made was Thomas Was Alone, and the next is called Volume. It’s a stealth game about being heard, and it’s coming to PS4 and PS Vita first!

I want you to imagine a 15-year-old Mike. He’s nerdy, he’s chubby, and he’s a bit bored of revising for his maths exams. He’s the kind of pedantic person who would be irritated if a website corrected the last sentence to be ‘math’. But right now, he’s not revising, and he’s not correcting hypothetical American editors. He is, instead, cautiously placing the ‘making of’ DVD that came with his copy of Metal Gear Solid 2 into his dusty and somewhat dented PS2.

One special feature stands out, it shows Hideo Kojima talking about the process of making levels out of Lego. It kind of blows young Mike’s mind: Games are accessible things. He has Lego. Kojima has Lego. In some weird way that Danish toy creates a link that means a lot to him. He decides making games might be for him.

Fast forward to today. I’m now 27. I’m still a massive nerd. I am not yet thin. Last week I announced my new game, Volume – a sort of non-violent player-editable homage to my memories of the games which started me making games. It seems weirdly fitting that the game I bought a PS2 for has inspired something which will be debuting on PlayStation 4 and PlayStation Vita. I’d very much like to tell 15-year-old Mike that this would happen, but, you know, spoilers.

I’m exceptionally excited to be making this game, and I can’t wait to put it in the hands of PlayStation fans worldwide. Check out the trailer, and follow me on Twitter to keep tabs on the creative process. I’ve making the coolest stealth game I can, and I want to hand you the Lego set to

·
Registered
1,784 Posts
Releases on August 18:

Volume is a stealth game about being heard.

Locksley does not kill. That would be far too easy. Instead, he commits his crimes through stealth. He sneaks, he distracts, he avoids. He is never seen, and seldom heard. As he grows in popularity and notoriety, so will his inventory. Blackjacks, bugles, thunderclaps and veils are just some of the tools at Locksley's disposal.

The game will be released with a hundred challenging and exciting environments, but that is only the beginning. Every area of the game can be remixed, added to and expanded upon. The community are free to take the game in any direction they want, even releasing their own takes on the core levels. This is a game which will evolve, warp and grow as players make their mark on Locksley's legend.

Volume is a near future retelling of the Robin Hood legend, starring Danny Wallace and Charlie McDonnell. It will likely be a pretty good game.

·
Registered
1,784 Posts

From NeoGAF's thread:

Polygon - 9/10
NDTV - 9/10
GameInformer - 8.75/10
Gamespot - 8/10
Eurogamer - Thomas Was Alone creator Mike Bithell bypasses the difficult second album hurdle with a simple, elegant and carefully paced stealth puzzler.
RPS - There’s a clever stealth game here, without question. I’d just like it so much more if it ramped up faster and cooled it with all the chest-thumping.
GodIsAGeek - 7.5/10
Destructoid - 6/10
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=175789649

1 - 3 of 3 Posts