AVS Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, quick question about using an Onkyo receiver (TX-NR818) as a pre-amp. I connect all of my sources to the Onkyo, which I then connect via the Onkyo's front left/right preouts to my McIntosh MA6300, which then connects to my two-channel speakers. Right now I have the volume level of the Onkyo arbitrarily set to "50", but I'm wondering if there is a particular volume level I should apply to the Onkyo. I'm using Dolby Volume on the Onkyo to reduce the dynamic range of signals that I input to the Onkyo--does that have any impact on the volume level I should use?

·
Registered
4,587 Posts
put it where you want it. no magic. Used to be with movies, if you calibrated your speakers, you could know what volume control setting was the level they heard when they finalized the mix. No more, since most things are remastered. Music has never been subject to any standards, so how loud 50 is could be twice or half as loud from CD to CD, easily. Maie it right for you given whatever you are listening to.

volume control setting without some known reference is meaningless. The amps' input sensitivity can vary widely from amp to amp, and speaker sensitivity varies from speaker to speaker. 50 might mean half as loud for one system and twice as loud for another. Try not to worry about the stupid number and just enjoy.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Hi all, quick question about using an Onkyo receiver (TX-NR818) as a pre-amp. I connect all of my sources to the Onkyo, which I then connect via the Onkyo's front left/right preouts to my McIntosh MA6300, which then connects to my two-channel speakers. Right now I have the volume level of the Onkyo arbitrarily set to "50", but I'm wondering if there is a particular volume level I should apply to the Onkyo. I'm using Dolby Volume on the Onkyo to reduce the dynamic range of signals that I input to the Onkyo--does that have any impact on the volume level I should use?
Im using my 818 as a preamp also hooked up to a 3 channel carver amp for the front 3 channels. If u engage dolby volume the volume wont be as high so thats why you have to turn volume up so high on Onkyo, and if you use the dolby volume i believe that disengages the Audyessy reeq also. Your better off turning dolby volume off and turning the reeq on, will sound better and you wont have to turn the volume up so high on the 818 unless your trying to really crank it up.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Im using my 818 as a preamp also hooked up to a 3 channel carver amp for the front 3 channels. If u engage dolby volume the volume wont be as high so thats why you have to turn volume up so high on Onkyo, and if you use the dolby volume i believe that disengages the Audyessy reeq also. Your better off turning dolby volume off and turning the reeq on, will sound better and you wont have to turn the volume up so high on the 818 unless your trying to really crank it up.
Thanks for your reply. I believe that Dolby Volume disables Audyssey's own dynamic volume program, but does not disable the Audyssey EQ program. Page 53 of the manual states, "When 'Dolby Volume' is set to 'On', the 'Dynamic EQ' and 'Dynamic Volume' settings of all input selectors are switched to 'Off'" (it's important to note that "Dynamic EQ" is not the same as the main Audyssey EQ settings, but rather is a setting that "solves the problem of deteriorating sound quality as volume is decreased by taking into account human perception and room acoustics. [Dynamic EQ] does so by selecting the correct frequency response and surround volume levels moment-by-moment so that the content sounds the way it was created at any volume level — not just at reference level"). Also, when I have Dolby Volume engaged, the front display of the receiver still indicates that "Audyssey" is engaged.

My concern was that the volume level I choose on the Onkyo may affect the operation of the Dolby Volume program. Dolby Volume, in effect, appears to perform the function of both Audyssey's "Dynamic Volume" and Audyssey's "Dynamic EQ":

"Dolby Volume automatically adjusts the difference in volume levels which can occur between different contents or source components, freeing the user from having to make volume adjustments. Also, by adjusting the frequency balance according to the playback volume, it recreates the original source audio."

Since Dolby Volume appears to be making "frequency balance" adjustments that vary based on the output volume level in order to preserve the perceptual frequency balance for the listener, my concern was that setting a volume level on the Onkyo, only to adjust the actual volume I hear using the volume control on my McIntosh, may affect the operation of Dolby Volume.

(and I'm just curious if the volume level setting would have any other consequences in a pre-amp/power-amp type of setup).

·
Registered
515 Posts
Interesting. ..I'm using a McIntosh MA6600 integrated amp to drive the L/R speakers in 5.0 setup with an Onkyo TX-NR838. I thought that to use an Integrated amp in this manor you set the integrated amp to a predetermined volume, run your EQ test-tones (AccuEQ on my NR838) and use the AVR to adjust the volume. ..That's what I do. I have the Front L/R Pre-outs from the AVR connected to one of my available inputs on my MA6600 and always turn it up to 50 whenever I use it with the AVR.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Thanks for your reply. I believe that Dolby Volume disables Audyssey's own dynamic volume program, but does not disable the Audyssey EQ program. Page 53 of the manual states, "When 'Dolby Volume' is set to 'On', the 'Dynamic EQ' and 'Dynamic Volume' settings of all input selectors are switched to 'Off'" (it's important to note that "Dynamic EQ" is not the same as the main Audyssey EQ settings, but rather is a setting that "solves the problem of deteriorating sound quality as volume is decreased by taking into account human perception and room acoustics. [Dynamic EQ] does so by selecting the correct frequency response and surround volume levels moment-by-moment so that the content sounds the way it was created at any volume level — not just at reference level"). Also, when I have Dolby Volume engaged, the front display of the receiver still indicates that "Audyssey" is engaged.

My concern was that the volume level I choose on the Onkyo may affect the operation of the Dolby Volume program. Dolby Volume, in effect, appears to perform the function of both Audyssey's "Dynamic Volume" and Audyssey's "Dynamic EQ":

"Dolby Volume automatically adjusts the difference in volume levels which can occur between different contents or source components, freeing the user from having to make volume adjustments. Also, by adjusting the frequency balance according to the playback volume, it recreates the original source audio."

Since Dolby Volume appears to be making "frequency balance" adjustments that vary based on the output volume level in order to preserve the perceptual frequency balance for the listener, my concern was that setting a volume level on the Onkyo, only to adjust the actual volume I hear using the volume control on my McIntosh, may affect the operation of Dolby Volume.

(and I'm just curious if the volume level setting would have any other consequences in a pre-amp/power-amp type of setup).
Leave Dolby volume off. Leave EQ on and Dynamic volume on light. That's what ive always had mine on and seems to boost the volume the best.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Interesting. ..I'm using a McIntosh MA6600 integrated amp to drive the L/R speakers in 5.0 setup with an Onkyo TX-NR838. I thought that to use an Integrated amp in this manor you set the integrated amp to a predetermined volume, run your EQ test-tones (AccuEQ on my NR838) and use the AVR to adjust the volume. ..That's what I do. I have the Front L/R Pre-outs from the AVR connected to one of my available inputs on my MA6600 and always turn it up to 50 whenever I use it with the AVR.
My understanding is that your method is the preferred way to implement a pre-amp/power amp configuration, but the MA6300's volume control doesn't have any markings and the volume level isn't displayed electronically, so I don't have the ability to set the MA6300 to a consistent volume level (outside of setting the unit to its maximum volume, but I also have a Rega DAC connected directly to the MA6300, and I would worry about forgetting to turn the volume down before switching sources).

1 - 8 of 8 Posts