AVS Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This might be a dumb question, but it's something that has plagued me for a while with my setup. My current setup consists of a pair of Paradigm Monitor 7's, a Paradigm CC-370 center, and a pair of Paradigm Monitor 3's in the rear. The CC-370 started cutting in and out and I narrowed it down to the speaker itself, so I have to get that repaired. Until then I removed that speaker from my setup and am having the receiver just use the 4 speakers for now. I figured this would still be workable, as there are people that don't like having center channels and prefer to let the L/R handle the dialog.

I adjusted the settings and made the receiver aware that it did not have a center channel and re-ran the calibration. With these speakers and even when I had the center channel, there were movies where some points of dialog would be really hard to hear, so I would need to turn up the volume. However, in doing so, some points of the movie would be way too loud, and I would have to turn it down. It's been a little while since I had the center channel working, but I remember this issue even with it. Is there a setting that I could be missing that'd help with this? Is it a calibration issue? Or, is that perhaps just how it is and I'll need to live with it? I feel like I just have something set up incorrectly or something like that.

Any help would be great! That reminds me, I need to haul this center channel in to get repaired

·
Registered
15,079 Posts
When there's a center channel speaker, you can turn up the volume of the center channel in the receiver. That's where most of the dialog is. Some receivers have a "dialog enhancement" control which also turns up the center channel. I don't know if your receiver has that or if it works when the center channel doesn't have its own speaker.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies. I'll dig around on my receiver and look for some dialogue enhancement settings or play with adjusting the center channel level. Thanks! I'll post my results when/if I find something that worked for me.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts