AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I have a receiver which has two terminals for Front Speakers and A/B switches on the front to control which set of speakers get used. You can also have the receiver drive both pairs of speakers. So, I decided to wire another room up with the B speakers and install a volume control switch in that room to INDEPENDENTLY (emphasis intended) control the volume in that room. Well, much to my surprise, the volume switch in the 2nd room also controlled the volume in the first room. How could this be? It was attached to the speaker wire of the B speakers.

My guess is that the receiver (and maybe all receivers, who knows) must somehow sense what the lowest current being sent to one pair and somehow balance that out. Maybe this is a tip for Audio Distribution 101. I wish I had attended that class.

I am a little confused, because in my previous house I used this receiver to drive 6 pairs of speakers, each with a volume control in the room. However, I was only using the A speaker terminals and I had a Adcom speaker selection switch (with protection, of course) in between the receiver an the speaker connections. Each pair of speakers was independently controlled by the volume switches in the room, no problem

So, what do I need to do? Should I go out and buy a speaker selector box and run both pair of speakers off of one set of terminal posts and put volume controls in each room?

With Regards, - Hal :confused:

·
Registered
283 Posts
First thing to do is to check the wiring on the volume control. It sounds like you may have the wires backwards on the V/C itself. In other words, you may have the receiver plugged into the speaker side of the V/C, and the speakers connected to the "amp" side of the V/C. If the receiver is parallelling the loads when you have 'a' and 'b' selected, then with a backwards volume control, you're changing the impedance to the receiver and therefore affecting the volume of the first room each time you turn the V/C knob. There are other reasons this could occur, but with the way you have things connected it's most likely that. Check it and let us know.

·
Registered
766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks John,

I will check that when I get home tonight. I remember the switch being clearly labeled AMP vs SPEAKERS and since I had a 1 4x16 guage wire coming from the receiver vs 2 2x16 guage wires going to the speakers, it should have been easy for me to get this right. But, I wouldn't put it past me.

With Regards, - Hal

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by nobail
So, I decided to wire another room up with the B speakers and install a volume control switch in that room to INDEPENDENTLY (emphasis intended) control the volume in that room.
I assume you realize that you won't really be able to independently control the volume for your B speakers. All you can do is attenuate (or lower the volume for you B speakers). For example you cannot have your B speakers "loud" and your A speakers "low volume". Given the above limitation, what you are trying to do should work. I am doing the exact same thing with my Yamaha receiver. I have my B speakers on my patio and use it with an external volume control and it only lowers the volume on the B speakers, The A speakers are unaffected. Good luck.

Jay

·
Registered
766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Jay,

Yeah, I assume the volume switch on the receiver controls what actual volume goes out the back to each speaker. I just want the volume switch in the other room to only control the volume for the speakers in that room. Right now, it controls the volume in both room, even though it is clearly only hooked up on the B Speaker's wires. I hope I have them crossed up and I will check tonight. But, yeah, I want to do exactly what you did.

Regards, - Hal

·
Registered
657 Posts
Your problem is that most receivers serial the outputs (A/B) instead of paralleling them. The solution is to parallel all of the wires into the A output and use the volume control to shut off the B speakers when you are not using them.

ALSO make sure that the volume control is Impedance Matching as most new receivers will not support anything below 6 ohms.

You might want to also put a V/C on the A speakers so that you can match volume.

Brent McCall

Tsunami HT

(800) 221-0932 #230

·
Registered
657 Posts
Cal Me @ (386) 453 9533

Your problem is an easy fix.

Brent MCCall

Tsunami HT

(800) 221-0932 #230

·
Registered
766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ok, I have solved the problem. Here is the story.

I went home and check the wire connections. The volume control is a Niles VCS-2D-HP and it is clearly labled with sticker and with marking on the circuit board itself, AMP and Speakers. I check and the wires were set up correctly. The 1 4x16 guage speakers wire (with its Red, Black, Green and White wires) was correctly connected to the AMP connector, while the 2 2x16 guage speaker wires (with their red and black wires) were connected to the SPEAKER connector. I was bummed.

After a while, I thought "What the heck" and I switched them. Now, the wires coming from the AMP are connected to Speaker and vice versa. Well, I was shocked when the system now worked perfectly. The volume switch only controlled the volume in the second room and did not affect the first room. Too Weird!!

Could it be that the volume control is somehow mislabled. I mean, there is a sticker and markings on the board. It does not seem likely.

Also, Brent what you said about paralleling the speakers is what I did in my last home, except I used an impedance matching speaker selector box from Adcom. Since I was only going to have 1 pair of speakers in each of the A and B terminals, I did not really think I needed impedance matching. The receive manual says that the receiver is only rated for 8ohm speakers. It puts out 165 watts/channel is only A is drive and around 100 is both A/B are driven. I'm not sure of the number(when both are driven) but I'm probably close.

Regards, - Hal

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.