AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I used to have Digital Cable and I recently changed changed to Satellite. (Dish Network) It works out pretty well except one problem. SD Channels come in extremely loud compared to HD. It doesn't even seem to matter if its coming in as DD or not. Its just VERY loud. Is there anything I can really do about this or not since its being broadcast that way?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Isnt it nice when these guys view your post but dont even so much as respond at all?!?!? Anyway this is a known issue with hd programming. However its not technically an issue, i believe it has somethin to do with the way dolby digital is recorded or mixed. So it has more room to flucuate in volume so that in movies when its is SUPPOSED to go from soft to loud it is able to. There are a number of diferent features on televisions and receivers that are supposed to help comensate for this, however none really work all that well sadly. Audyssey dynamic volume was supposed to and i think actually is the best one for the job, however in my experience it does not work very well at all.

·
Registered
3,291 Posts
Most of the time people don't respond because they don't have a good answer to the question.

I don't either, just wanted to say that. At least I replied!

·
Registered
4,134 Posts
SD channels are compressed to death so everything is as loud as possible (FM radio syndrome). HD channels still have a lot of dynamic range, so while the peaks are the same, the average level is lower. At the rate things are going, HD channels will be compressed just as much in a year, so just sit back and enjoy those levels between "off" and "max" while you can.

·
Registered
3,247 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by coyoteaz /forum/post/16942209

At the rate things are going, HD channels will be compressed just as much in a year, so just sit back and enjoy those levels between "off" and "max" while you can.

Yes, I fear we are exiting the "golden age" of TV audio, when (for once) we could actually have some dynamic range in programs that need it. Many stations in my area have already installed audio processing, and while this doesn't have much impact on things like talk shows, news, or sitcoms (where you really don't need or want much range), it destroys the impact of dramatic shows, which rely on the peaks (and valleys) to tell the story.

TV stations are kind of caught in the middle though. They are looking for an easy way to deal with the variety of "bad" things that are sent their way. For instance, there are several syndicators who routinely insert the commercials into their feeds at +10 relative to the program. Now that's just plain sloppy work, but what's a station supposed to do? Ultimately, it is they who will take the complaints, not the studio that sent it out.

Too many boneheads are going to ruin any chance we had of getting this right.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts