AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
See www.stereotimes.com for news and information on a new speaker design, the FPS 1 (Flat Panel Speaker) that will compete head to head with the planar and stat designs. The initial "review" from Clement Perry was very positive, and offers hope that this new design concept from VSA will add a wider soundstage and a better integrated and deeper low-end then what is currently offered by the Maggies and ML's etc. Anyone attending the "show" in NY will see and hear it first (public showing). Would appreciate your feedback for those of us not attending.

Jack

·
Registered
3,755 Posts
Albert never sits still for long. He grinds out more new designs than anyone in the business. It hasn't been that long since he rolled out the high-efficiency DB-series line.

Clement Perry has written positively of Von Schweikert designs in the past. So he'll have some experience to draw upon for reference.

Tom B.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Tom,

Every one of Albert's designs have been relatively break-thru products, whether for HT use or purely 2-channel Audio, at their given price points. From driver tweeking and placement, crossover design and parts, to internal damping and psychoacoustical properities, the Von Schweikerts offer great imaging, expansive soundstage and depth, and music/soundtrack neutrality and purity.

I'll bet this new design is yet another jaw dropping experience for those in attendance, as was the case at last CES with his GenIII's, DB99's, and 100's.

Jack

·
Registered
3,755 Posts
Jack,

I'm very familiar with Albert's speakers. And I listened to the Gen III's and a DB speaker at CES. I'd love to hear the new ones.

But I'm not sure I'd want my speakers being promoted as having superb psychoacoustical properties!!!

Tom B.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Tom,

Audiophilla Neurvosa is a "psychoacoustical" disorder recogized by the AMA and treated with great California "Reds" and SACD's. I feel fine, I feel fine, I feel fine!!

Enjoy,

Jack

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
I heard the FPS in the HE2002 show. It was nothing spectacular. When somebody put some CD from "The Yield" on, the speakers just lost it. Congested, thick...

Von Schweikerts' VR-4 (?) sounded better in his own setup. Very dynamic.

My best sound still goes to the JMLab Utopia, with the TACT complete system 2nd.

·
Registered
3,755 Posts
Ah, the JMLab Utopia ... my heart be still!

I've heard the latest VR-4 (the Gen III) a couple of times and it truly is a great speaker at its price point ($4750). Dynamic, open, airy, with well-resolved bass.

I own a pair of VR-4 Gen I's with Albert's VR-5 mod applied. Well, "mod" is an understatement since every driver, the crossover, the midrange baffle, and the internal wiring were completely replaced. The only thing that I still own from the original is the cabinet - and it had the bass driver holes enlarged and the fabric replaced.

Anyway, my VR-4/5 sounds fantastic. Just today I was in a nice audio shop and was listening to a CD that I am familiar with through a pair of $2500'ish PSB speakers, top-of-the-line Parasound electronics, and the Sony 555ES SACD player. I was immediate struck by how the sound was more constrained and less natural sounding. I know the front end and amp are very good performers and those PSB speakers are pretty good for the price. I had to smile with satisfaction, knowing how much nicer my home system sounds. Of course my speakers should sound better, seeing as how they would sell for around $8500 or more, but it was good to have some reassurance that my money (I've only spent $3600 on the VRs) was well spent.

Tom B.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.