AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The VOOM web site is now up and running, but it is just a simple info page (no content info). You can "register" with the site to request more information about VOOM, but that is it right now (I'm glad I spent some time looking over their site when they were testing it).

Thanks to Ken and everyone else in the forums who allows us geeks to get the heads-up and (sometimes) to actually be ahead of the service providers themselves.

·
Registered
4,632 Posts
Didnt i read this somewhere already......

Anyways, it isnt loading up for me. Is the site still down?

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
Do we need a new thread now that VOOM is active?

I have thrown my name in the hat, so to speak. I'll get the information they pitch. Very highly doubt I'll get the service but it doesn't hurt to hear their sales pitch.

·
Registered
311 Posts
HDTV DELIVERED?? Many promises to keep, well here's to them ,i hope they do it!!!

Like millions of consumers, you've been waiting for months-even years-for this amazing new technology called HDTV to become a reality. Why invest in an HDTV set if there's precious little HDTV programming to watch?

Your wait is over. VOOM arrives on October 15.

VOOM is HDTV Delivered: the first HDTV-focused satellite service to offer a full schedule of great HD programming for your HDTV set. In fact, VOOM delivers 39 HD channels, including 21 exclusive channels you can't see anywhere else. That's more than four times the HD programming of any other provider.

Get the high-definition rush you've been waiting for. With VOOM, you get HD movies in widescreen. HD music videos in surround sound. And HD sports that seem to blast right into your living room.

Ready for VOOM? Our fully realized HDTV service will be available nationwide on October 15. You will be able to order VOOM at retail stores, by phone and on this Web site. Sign up now and we will contact you with more information on VOOM. And check back soon for the complete VOOM Web site, with all the details on VOOM's exclusive HD channel

·
Registered
112 Posts
I have a DBS dish pointed at 61.5 and hooked up to my MPEG 2 FTA receiver and I cannot find anything coming out of Rainbow 1. If they're transmitting on the frequencies not assigned to Echo 3, then I can't find a signal. I've tried symbol rates of 20000, 21000, 21500, 22000, 23000, 24000, 25000 and 26000 MSPS and I get nothing. Lyngsat is on hiatus until the 6th, so if anyone can get a peep out of Rainbow 1 please post.

--- WCS

·
Registered
4,039 Posts
wcswett,

You will not get anything on your FTA receiver as they will use 8PSK. You can only get signal if it is QPSK.

·
Registered
4,632 Posts
went to sears in jersey city,nj.....dont see anything about voom. nada zip zelch....

·
Registered
4,632 Posts
didnt see any voom products in sears today in jersey city. Wasnt it today, where they would unveil the product........

·
Registered
112 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by CKNA
wcswett,

You will not get anything on your FTA receiver as they will use 8PSK. You can only get signal if it is QPSK.
Ah, that's right... no wonder... Thanks!

--- WCS

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,646 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by RAVEN56706
Didnt i read this somewhere already......
Yes.
VOOM Press Release

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,646 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by gpflepsen
Do we need a new thread now that VOOM is active?
Your wish is my command.

·
Registered
4,839 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by thomasamiller
why is the installation fee so much money? $750 is WAY to steep for this. I wonder when they will offer self-install kits.
$800 is a tough nut to crack even for 39 HD channel. How many here are going to jump on the Voom bandwagon right off the bat. Or are you going to wait and hope for a price drop or discount ?....... I have so much money spent on HD ird's and stuff in both OTA and C-band, To go for another 800 bucks.....boy I don't know :cool:

Edit for mistakes

·
Registered
45,646 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by thomasamiller
why is the installation fee so much money? $750 is WAY to steep for this.
How do you figure?

- You get the STB, which from DirecTV or Dish is ~$400

- DTV antenna ~$50

- Professional Install of both ~$200

- 2 Year In Home Service Warranty ~$150

Seems about right to me.

Quote:
I wonder when they will offer self-install kits.
Don't hold your breath. The VOOM idea is to offer a high end system with professional installation and that's what the're going to sell. The 2 year warranty offer is based on holding the local installer responsible for any problems, short of a STB/LNB/remote failure. They are targeting a market (not DIY'ers or enthusiasts) that wants a worry free system, with exclusive HD channels, and is willing to pay a reasonable price for it.

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
I agree with Ken on the price. Once you figure in the antenna, installation and 2 year in home service contract the price is reasonable. Look, I am not saying it is cheap, but if you look closely what you are getting for the money it is a reasonable price.

Scott

·
Registered
45,646 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by bhambrad
Ken H-

Any idea what kind of DTV antenna? UHF & VHF?
Someone posted in HDTV Hardware they had two options, a stealth type and a regular Yagi. I suspect most installs will require the Yagi.

·
Registered
3,733 Posts
good point ken. and if they provide a decent amount of hd programing on there hd channels it mite be worth it tho at 800 bucks i hope they can stay in business, i would hate it a year or two from now if the stb became a paper weight

1 - 20 of 52 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.