AVS Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was flipping through Primary coverage tonight and saw that HDNews had live election coverage. It was nice to see them take the McCain and Clinton press conferences live in High Definition; while over on CNNHD, they were using SD. I thought HDN was a news-to-tape channel like most local cable company news channels.

·
Registered
785 Posts
While obviously not a major news source, over the several years that VOOM HDNews has been around, they have had a few notable firsts when it comes to live HD news coverage. They have provided HD feeds of both political conventions and the State of the Union message when no other network was offering those broadcasts in HD. If memory serves, I believe that those HD feeds were initiated by NHK Japan (but don't hold me to that tidbit as I might be wrong).

·
Registered
17 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by btokars /forum/post/12872861

I believe that those HD feeds were initiated by NHK Japan (but don't hold me to that tidbit as I might be wrong).

I know that HDNews & NHK have shared resources in the past, but for the primary coverage they've been using "standard" Sat trucks w/ extra HD equipment to keep everything fully in HD.

I don't know all the details but Sat time is expensive & HDNews is much much much smaller than CNN, Fox, BBC... so they don't have the cash to be live all the time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rutgerskid /forum/post/12872289

I thought HDN was a news-to-tape channel like most local cable company news channels.

I think they are mostly on tape, b/c of the high cost factor to get live HD footage back to the studio (fedex is in every city, HD Sat trucks aren't). But I've noticed more day of news coverage lately, so they're working to get more timely stories done.

All in all, I think it is great that they're not like 99% of all other "HD" news shops which are only HD in the studio. HDNews (and the rest of Voom) is all HD, all the time.

·
Premium Member
2,399 Posts
E* doesn't get enough credit for this channel. Too bad "nobody" knows about it.

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
It has evolved over that last few years. They used to have a guy with a really bad case of helmet hair as their lead anchor. The woman they have now looks and sounds first rate. They do tend to go to the weather a little too often though. The picture on my 50 inch Panny looks reference quality. I find myself watching it more and more, just like the other Voom channels, because they look so much better than the non Voom "HD" channels. Voom still has that old HD "pop" and "wow factor" for me.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I totally agree about HDNews, and all the other VOOM channels. When I first started reading this forum and deciding on upgrading to DISH HD, I read so many negative posts about the VOOM channels being just repetitive junk. I can' t disagree more! The pq on these channels blow every other channel away! So, the movies repeat a few times, but I don't think it's any different than HBO or Cmax. I, for one, am happy that VOOM is part of DISH HD!

·
Registered
440 Posts
As I told someone on another forum who was complaining loudly about Voom's repetitiveness, they should consider it as free VOD. From a customer's standpoint, the real waste of bandwidth on E* is the PPV channels, which only air one thing for days at a time and you have to pay each time you want to watch it.

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
I like Voom. I mainly got E* because of Monstershd. The Voom channels have gone down hill since last November. They cut their budget is my guess. Doesn't E* partially own the Voom channels? If so why doesn't he put $ into them? They have a lot of potential and are 24 hours straight HD. We have too many hd channels that show little hd (TBS). The E* package would/could be great if they added more programming/movies.

·
Registered
3,892 Posts
Here's another vote for HD News. I watch it frequently. In 12 minutes you get a nice recap of the current news. I also like some of the other VOOM channels: Equator, Rush, Rave, etc.

Larry

SF

1 - 10 of 10 Posts