AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had VOOM installed earlier today at about 3pm. I have reset the box with the front power button and done a factory reset. I still can not pick up any locals with the voom box. They are in the guide but they won't tune in. I am in the Boston area and I can pick up all my local HD stations with my DirecTV Samsung HD box. They all have a signal in the 70 to 95 range. One of the VOOM reps told me it might take a day for the locals to be picked up.

Is this true? Any suggestions if not.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Hi:

Have you tried hooking the VOOM OTA antenna in to the samsung box to check that the VOOM antenna is working? There are at least a couple of reports here indicating that the VOOM box does not tune in the signals as well as other HD boxes.

On my VOOM box I got OTA reception as soon as the information was in the guide - Though only for very strong signal stations

Joseph

·
Premium Member
7,158 Posts
Peter,

There shouldn't be a lag.

I sent info to Wilt for my zip out here, which I assume overlaps the Boston Channels being up.

If you can't get any, would guess they forgot to put the OTA card in the unit. Are you using a diplexer combining the OTA & Sat into one cable. They may have also forgotten to put the adapter on the back with breaks out the OTA & Sat input, i.e., running both to the sat input.

Tim

·
Premium Member
2,156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Tim,

I didn't think there should be a lag. Thanks. The OTA card, was that supposed to be put in by the installer? Did it come in the box?

I don't have any diplexers. The house is already prewired for OTA. So the OTA cable comes out from the wall and straight into the Voom box's input that has a picture of a Antenna( I beleive). I have 2 cables one for the OTA that goes striaght in and one from the voom dish. Both cables are plugged into seperate inputs.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Stupid Qustion but where is the OTA antenna plugged into on the Voom box? Make sure it is plugged into the 8VSB module and NOT the UHF labled input. The UHF input is for a UHF remote antenna in the future. Some installers have been pugging in the antenna wire to this by accident.

The antenna should be plugged into this module:
http://photos.groups.yahoo.com/group...iew=t&.hires=t

The 8VSB module should have been installed in the set-top during the installation. It slides into a cavity of the receiver in the back panel on the right side.

·
Premium Member
2,156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you, that should solve that it is not plugged in the UHF but it is plugged into the slot right between the usb port and the analog tv outputs.

That explains it all. Now hopefully I can get a hold of the installer tomorrow. He said earlier when I talked to him he needed to drop of something. So maybe this was it.

Thanks to everyone,

Pete

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.