AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know where the Voom satellite is in the sky? How about dish they want customers to use, how big? How many LNB's? Will existing products work?

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,682 Posts
It's at 61.5, just like Dish. The dish size for those except on the West coast is 18", I believe the LNB is the same as standard DirecTV or older Dish. Some extreme West coast locations might need a larger dish.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I don't understand all of the orbital references but I was under the impression they were positioning it in a spot that would give people in the northeast an advantage -- by that I mean, a little higher in the sky than Direct TV or Dish.

Are you saying that it's at the same latitutde than DirecTV but perhaps further east? From where I live in the NYC area, Direc TV is low in the sky and therefore below the tree line. Not sure about DISH.

This cableworld article says the west is plain ouf of luck.

·
Registered
6,111 Posts
For the east coast, 61.5 is roughly as far east of us as 101° is west of us. So if you are getting programming off of DirecTV's main sat, your dish will be pointed southwest... Voom will be southeast, roughly the same angle east of true south as DirecTV is west of true south.

·
Registered
86 Posts
So that doesn't sound like it would be high enough to clear the trees then?

Where I l ive, about 40 miles of NYC, DirecTV is something like 24 degrees above the horizon, not high enough in the sky to clear the trees. If all they're doing with Voom is moving it further east, it will be the same problem for me and a lot of people I know.

Sorry for the dumb question, after positing, I read up and was reminded that there's no way the Voom sat can be higher in the sky -- it has to be over the equator, right? So there's no real hope of being positioned higher in the sky.

Just thinkin out loud....

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
Elevations from my location just north of NYC in Easton CT ( 41.252328 N, 73.287108 W):

Orbit(Satellite) -> Elevation, Azimuth

- 61.5 (VOOM, Echostar 3) -> 40.8, 162.42

- 101 (DirecTV) -> 34.5, 218.56

- 110 (DirectV) -> 29.5, 228.54

- 119 (DirecTV HDTV, Echostar 1,2) -> 23.7, 259.81

- 148 (Echostar 4) -> 2.7, 259.8

At 40 degrees (61.5 slot) my trees stay intact; at 23 degrees (119 slot) I'd have to flatten quite a few; at 2.7 (148 slot) degrees I'd have to flatten my neighborhood and a couple of hills.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Where do you get the elevations for Voom?

Everything I've seen has stated only the slot of 61.5' -- I understood this mean it would like other satellites, at the equator, in a spot 61 .5'W, and as a result, it would be at roughly the same elevation as Direct TV

For me, this is significant because that small difference in elevation means it's within range of my roof.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.