AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I looked through the VOOM threads and thought I would provide some updated info. I went to a local Sears store today and asked the salesperson in the TV section if he knew anything about VOOM. Surprisingly he said, absolutely, and he was quite knowledgeable answering all of my questions. He then provided me with a brochure which is actually the brochure they are giving the sales staff to market it. Here are some highlights.

First, Sears is the only place to get VOOM until 12/31/03 after which there will be other retailers. Sears is only offering the full package with full install for $749 and will not (at least initially) be giving any discounts. The dish is 18" and looks like a standard single LNB round dish. The receiver has a colorful (read "loud") VOOM logo, and the remote has numerous colored buttons. The base package is $39.95/mo for which you will get :

HD Cinema 10 -- ten separate channels of HD movies

Epics -- "spectacular cinema and performing arts....."

Monsters -- "Horror, thrillers, and sci-fi from classic horror...."

Rush -- "Fast-moving, high-energy action sports in spectacular settings....."

WorldSport -- "Live exclusive presentations of two soccer leagues -- Italy and Spain-- plus track and field, motor sports and more......"

Rave -- "Chart-topping music videos and performances..."

Ultra -- "The latest in fashion, cuisine, home design, travel and modern living...."

Treasure -- "The stories of collectors and their eclectic tastes in objects they covet..."

Gallery -- "Explore the worlds of art, architecture, and cultural performance...."

MOOV -- "A continuous flow of breathtaking imagery set to music..."

Animania -- "Celebrating animation of all kinds..."

VOOM NewsBytes -- "The first and only high definition source fo news weather and sports updated 24 hours a day...."

In addition there are "HDTV PlusPacks." These are:

Starz which includes Discovery HD, In Demand HD 1 and 2, and 6 Starz digital multiplexes. Coming soon StarzEast HD and StarzWest HD.

HD Sports which includes NBA TV, the Golf Channel, College Sports TV, the Tennis Channel, and Fox SportsWorld. Coming Soon NFL Network HD.

HBO which includes the usual multiplexed 7 channels and both east and west coast HD feeds.

Showtime ditto the above.

Cinemax ditto the above with HD when it becomes available.

The standard monthly packet includes one of these, and others are additional for $14.95 additional a month. The package also includes a bunch of "cable Favorites of over 40 channels. Which exact ones were not spelled out, but they include at least CNN, MSNBC, The Weather Channel, ABC Family, The Hallmark Network, CNN Headline News and HGTV.

Last, the brochure says that any local digital or HD channels will also be provided for free. What constitutes a local channel is not spelled out. For example, I am in RI, but I consider my locals the Boston stations. I am sure they would not be included.

I hope this is new and not redundant information.

BTW, there are some other interesting tidbits. The way the sales will work is that a customer will buy the "VOOM start up kit" for $49.99 inthe store. The rest of the $700 will be collected from VOOM. They will call the customer within two days to confirm programming choices and make an instalation appointment. It appears that they will not install until the final $700 has been paid. Also, for each kit the salesperson sells, he/she will get $40.

SMK

·
Registered
3,240 Posts
I wonder if this new receiver is run by an access card similar to Direct TV.

·
Registered
640 Posts
Quote:
Last, the brochure says that any local digital or HD channels will also be provided for free. What constitutes a local channel is not spelled out. For example, I am in RI, but I consider my locals the Boston stations. I am sure they would not be included.
I believe the local stations are provided by an antenna mounted on the dish and not through the satellite.

jr

·
Registered
3,388 Posts
Where's all of this HD programming coming from???

·
Registered
420 Posts
Im sure there's an NDS card there

·
Registered
3,083 Posts
Quote:
I believe the local stations are provided by an antenna mounted on the dish and not through the satellite.
Yep, they are saying they will provide all your local channels in HD.......as long as you have an antenna that will pick them up and they are brodacast in HD!!! They have a great marketing dept. I think I will start my own HD Satellite companay and tell everyone they can get HBO-HD, SHO-HD, ESPN-HD, HD-Net, HD-Net Movies and Disc-HD.........as long as you have a HD receiver and dish from Directv or Dish...LOL

It will be interesting to see how many of these channels are orginal sourced HD and not upconverts. I am very interested but it has to not be upconverts and there has to be a receiver that has a firewire out so you can record.

Mike

·
Registered
13,531 Posts
The details from Sears were already discussed extensively in this thread .

·
Registered
8,864 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by mbw23air
Yep, they are saying they will provide all your local channels
Hey, don't laugh. The local Dish installers here did just that before Dish got the Lexington locals on line.

HDC

·
Registered
3,733 Posts
did i miss it, no hdnet, or hdmovies, sorry without these no sale. otherwise i would have given it a try when they provide firwwire as has been report will later happen

good thing they are throwing in one hdpluspack or it would seem like to much for me, but is not their ala cart price for hbo showtime and cinemax higher then dish... And does not dish discount the month fee on each additional premium channel by one dollar for each premium channel you are already subscribed to. so if you had hbo and showtime you would get cinemax for two dollars less amonth then you would if it was teh only premium channel you took.

·
Registered
13,531 Posts
VOOM, if it were to launch right now, would not have ESPN-HD or either of the Hdnets. They are apparently still in discussion with those parties for carriage.

·
Registered
3,733 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by JohnRichmond
Upconversions of programming nobody else wanted.

jr
honestly who knows you probably are right, but i don't know - give them a chance. aren't many music video's shot on film or some, they could have those transfered, and other programming too, like hdnet does.. It depends on how much they want to spend and or what content they can get there hands on how aggressively they are about perusing it, maybe being associate with a established cable co will allow them better access to content to transfer. doubt it, but you never know. associations sometimes work in strange ways

the news channel i suppose they could produce that them selves and it would just repeat with update every few hours. who knows

i know everyone think the parent company is horribly run, but i hope they would know if they are going to do this upconverts wont fly... i assume they do -- which is something i should not do I know

·
Registered
2,633 Posts
Does the $749 actually get you the STB owned outright, or is it one of those deals where you will also have to pay a monthly fee for the STB in addition to the install cost?

What will make this service exciting for me is the Worldsport channel and the HD Sports Pack. However, the HD Sports Pack appears to be a misnomer-- neither Golf Channel nor Fox Sports World nor Tennis Channel nor CSTV send any HD programming (unless you are talking selected events which are shown in SD but with an HD simulcast on InHD).

Again, marketing is playing fast and loose with the facts. It seems the target market is entry-level HD customers-- those who are taking the plunge but are not sophisticated enough to understand what is really HD versus what is SD, and what you get from satellite versus what you can get OTA.

Regardless of the Worldsport channel, I will not consider this service until install price drops below $500, which should be sometime in 2004 after retail competition is opened up.

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
Someone should start a poll to find out how many people that attend this forum will be seriously considering the purchase of/buying or not buying into Voom.

·
Registered
820 Posts
I surely hope the channel packages are not like those detailed in the brochure...why would they bundle Disc HD, InHD and InHD with the Starz pack? What if I don't want Starz?

What if I wanted VOOM to be my HD service, and keep my current cable? Are you telling me I have to buy 40 duplicate SD channels? $14.95 per HD pack? With Starpower, I pay $12.00 for my HD tier and $8.00 per movie package...

VOOM, thanks, but no thanks...

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,648 Posts
Pretty much old news.

·
Registered
754 Posts
 http://www.philly.com/mld/philly/ent...nt/6855282.htm

Ok according to this link VOOM is owned by Cablevision (hmmm I'm starting to think back to the days of primestar).

It also says they are compressing the signals to fit more channels on only 11 transponders and that people here in the northwest and also southwest will not be able to recieve this service due to the easternly position of the satellite.

Then they charge 39.90 for the main package plus 14.99 for each of the 6 "plus" packages one free with the 39.90 so lets add 39.90 + 14.99x5.

hmmmm $114.85 who are these guys kidding!?!?

The whole thing sounds like a sham to me honestly it also sounds like they will be upconverting material as well.

So lets see owned by a cableco (will probably fail miserably like Primestar), compressed HD and tons of upconverted material. All for the low low price of $749 install and 114.85 a month. I think I'll stick with what I've got thanks

Jeremy

edit read some more on the voom service. The free plus pack is only till January 2004 then you have to pay for all 6 plus add on 29.95 for the additional 40 SD channels bringing it to a total of 159.55 a month. And it goes on to explain the plus packs are a mixture of SD and HD content.

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I am certainly not trying to push this service just trying to give info. According to the Sears brochure the free deal is for ALL the plus packs until 1/04. After that you get one for "free" and the others are $14.95 each.

There is no question a lot of what is being offered will be SD or upconverts. They say in the brochure that there will be 28 HD channels at start up and predict 39 "and counting" by 2/1/04.

Last, it does appear that you will own the receiver, dish, etc. The deal comes with a two-year warranty on the hardware.

SMK

·
Registered
506 Posts
Ive got a great idea! Lets say I wait until January so there might be some competition from other outlets, but here goes I now pay D* 97.00 a month plus tax for premier service getting me everything, granted I don't watch everything but wanting HBO and SHO outs you so close to the premier price point no big deal.

So lets assume for a minute I drop my D* package down to Plus at 50.00 a month and buy into this VOOM service. My monthly bill will still be around 105.00 a month for both services, and I have added a bunch of HD (we'll see) channels and still retain all of what I had plus more!

How does that sound!

D*49.99 plus tax

V*39.95 plus tax + 1 plus pack

V*14.95 plus tax - Extra plus pack

104.99.......Lots of HD(we'll see) channels!!!!!!!!!!!

Just a thought!

1 - 20 of 54 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.