AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Of the 39 HD channels that the Voom advertising states....are they all dedicated HD channels ?

Let me put it another way...since I am new to HD...

Are these channels dedicated to showing HD content...like say Discovery HD...showing content that is HD or converted to HD by the network itself ? Or is there a way that Voom can just upgrade a channels content offering to a HD format and resolution?

I ask this because I never knew there was a HD AMC or HD A&E or HD Biography or HD History Channel or HD FX. All these channels upgraded their content to HD...and Voom is just offering what is available....or is Voom doing the upconverting? I do not know if that is even possible. Please shed some light on the topic.

Also what happens when a network goes HD...a network that shows older programming. Say like the new TNT-HD out in May 2004. They just upconvert shows to HD...but what happens when they show a rerun of say NYPD Blue which was originally aired in HD on ABC. Will we able to tell the difference between an old NYPD Blue or JAG that was not originally aired as HD and one that was originally aired as HD ?

·
Registered
768 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Archangel
Of the 39 HD channels that the Voom advertising states....are they all dedicated HD channels ?

I ask this because I never knew there was a HD AMC or HD A&E or HD Biography or HD History Channel or HD FX. All these channels upgraded their content to HD...and Voom is just offering what is available....or is Voom doing the upconverting? I do not know if that is even possible. Please shed some light on the topic.

Also what happens when a network goes HD...a network that shows older programming. Say like the new TNT-HD out in May 2004. They just upconvert shows to HD...but what happens when they show a rerun of say NYPD Blue which was originally aired in HD on ABC. Will we able to tell the difference between an old NYPD Blue or JAG that was not originally aired as HD and one that was originally aired as HD ?
You have it confused a bit. Voom does not offer all of its channels in HD, some of them are SD. The channels for AMC, A&E, Biography, etc. do not yet exist in HD. And, they are nowhere near the 39 channels that are being touted. They still don't have HBO HD, ESPN HD and a number of others that are expected. Check out the Voom website for a list of which channels are SD and which are HD and also check out the Voom programming thread in this forum.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I went to their website....and I guess that is where I got confused...of the exclusive HD channels...it says 21 channels...but only shows 12....twelve that I have never heard of before...i.e. Rush-HD...Rave-HD etc.

Then when I go to the 39 channels of HD it also lists A&E...FX...and the like....but does not tell me which are HD and which are not....since they said 39 channels of HD...I thought they all were.

So what is their 39 HD channel list look like ?

Is it even 39 HD channels...or even the 21 exclusive HD channels ?

There website is very misleading.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
A very helpful AV Science member has lead me to a site that lists the Voom HD channels....I count only 27 not 39...I am not sure what HD Cinema10 is....whether it is a PPV movie channel or something like HDNet Movies....but 10 of the 27 are HD Cinema10.

100 NewsBytes HD

101 HD Cinema10

102 HD Cinema10

103 HD Cinema10

104 HD Cinema10

105 HD Cinema10

106 HD Cinema10

107 HD Cinema10

108 HD Cinema10

109 HD Cinema10

110 HD Cinema10

121 Monsters HD

122 Epics HD

123 WorldSport HD

124 Rush HD

125 Rave HD

126 Ultra HD

127 Treasure HD

128 Gallery HD

129 MOOV HD

130 Animania HD

241 Showtime HD East HD

242 Showtime HD West HD

251 TMC-HD East ---> Added 12/8/03

261 Starz HD East ---> Added 12/05/03

262 Starz HD West ---> Added 12/05/03

311 NFL Network HD ---> Added 11/19/03

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
HD cinema 10 shows 10 different movies in 10 different channels. The other channels will be in VOOM lineup by 2/29/04. There is expectation that by 2/1/04 there will be others showing up as well. None of these are PPV channels.

Here's the list of the other possible channels added by 2/29/04.

201 HBO HD East

202 HBO HD West

221 Cinemax HD East

222 Cinemax HD West

281 InHD

282 InHD 2

301 ESPN HD

321 NBA-TV HD

501 Bravo HD+

701 Adult PPV HD

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sean,

Thanks for your help in getting me to understand this service.

Do they offer all these HD channels with just one satellite up in the sky ?

So what type of movies are we talking about on HD Cinema 10 ? Recent ? 90's ? 80's? older ?

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
One satellite at 61.5. Most of the movies range from classics 1960's to 1990's. Nothing recent like you see on HBO, SHO, or STARZ

·
Registered
483 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Archangel
To answer your initial question:

All 21 VOOM's exclusive channels are 100% HD. 1080i 24 hours a day! This is what I really love about VOOM! I don't remember seeing a single up-convert on any of their 21 channels (someone will correct me if I am wrong).

Other (non-exclusive) HD channels, like Starz, ShowTime, TMC, do show a lot of up-converts, and they also occasionally crop movies to 4:3, something that VOOM never does on its exclusive channels.

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
What I can't understand is why INHD 1 and 2 haven't been added. You would think that Cablevision could help make this happen.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by jambroni
What I can't understand is why INHD 1 and 2 haven't been added. You would think that Cablevision could help make this happen.
Cablevision is not one of the MSO partners that make up InDemand, and as far as I know (and I used to work there) they are the only major MSO that does not negotiate PPV/VOD through InDemand but independently.

AS

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,622 Posts
This, and a ton more, has all been covered in the VOOM Programming topic.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...hreadid=322324

My sincere advice to everyone is to do a search using a few keywords, and you almost invariably find more info than you can imagine on most any HD related subject.

·
Registered
45 Posts
The VOOM brochure from Sears read "39 HD channels PLUS ..."plus packs"... Also, the VOOM web site says "39 HD channels PLUS "plus packs"". I just saw a VOOM commercial on the Outdoor Life Network that said "39 HD channels PLUS premium channels in HD when available".

According to all that, VOOM should have 39 HD channels by 2/1/04 for $39.90 per month with additional HD channels available for an extra charge.

Joseph

·
Registered
768 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by jnardone
The VOOM brochure from Sears read "39 HD channels PLUS ..."plus packs"... Also, the VOOM web site says "39 HD channels PLUS "plus packs"". I just saw a VOOM commercial on the Outdoor Life Network that said "39 HD channels PLUS premium channels in HD when available".

According to all that, VOOM should have 39 HD channels by 2/1/04 for $39.90 per month with additional HD channels available for an extra charge.

Joseph
Unless something changes, it won't work that way. You will only get their 21 'exclusive' HD channels plus one plus pack for 39.90. It will take the $99.50 unlimited subscription to get all 39 projected HD channels plus the SD channels that they offer.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.