AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can a non activated voom receiver still get off air channels? I have found some cheap boxes for sale. Can the box can be used as the off air hdtv receiver, even though not subscribed, OR does voom disable the box?

If this isn't possible what are some good used receivers with component video?

Thanks

·
Registered
7,918 Posts
You can pick up a new ATSC tuner with component out for $199, what's your budget? Check for open box items at your local electronics stores also.

·
Registered
6,557 Posts
I'm pretty sure that all ATSC HDTV OTA tuner boxes will have Component. Its the DVI/HDMI/RGB which tends to vary from model to model.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for your comments. Has anyone tried to use the Voom receiver to get OTA without satellite service? I'd like to stay under $150 for the receiver.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
The VOOM receiver is ead after they turn off VOOM. It also can't be resold to anybody else as they won't reactivate it. So its a boat anchor.

·
Registered
7,918 Posts
Your better off looking for a used or open box stand alone OTA receiver.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks, do you have any model numbers of receivers I should look for? I've looked at the RCA DTC-100 but it only has s video out. Does s video work ok with hd?

·
Registered
7,918 Posts
No, you need component, VGA, DVI or HDMI out to carry HD. The DTC-100 is an old Directv receiver and uses a VGA out for HD. You'd need to add a transcoder that cost more then the receiver to convert it to component out...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.