AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
897 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I called VOOM's tech support number for help with a problem I was having with my DVI output. The woman who "helped" me was a complete idiot about video. First she asked me "do I use the remote control button to turn off my satellite." Well gee, I didn't realize I had a satellite. After I told her I used the button to turn off the RECIEVER, she asked why I was not using the YPbPr outputs, as that was the preferred interface. She then tried to tell me COMPONENT VIDEO IS DIGITAL??? she was so convinced that it was it was, nothing I could say would make her think otherwise. She thought I was wrong. "Well sir, I know people who sell TV's for a living and they say it is digital." They must be the same ones selling plasma recharging gas! Even though I said several times it was a 50 foot run to the PJ, she kept telling me to use the (6 foot) component cable that came with the IRD.

Geeze! How do these people get a job as tech support without knowing even the most basic things about video technology and interfaces???? That NEVER happens in the broadcast world. When you call tech support, you get an ENGINEER. And if they can't help you, they will get the guy who desgined the unit!

·
Registered
5,001 Posts

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
The one misconception Voom CSR's will believe to the end is this. "Sir, with the Voom satellite service there is no analog. Voom is 100% digital , that is why Voom is superior to anything else." I have been told this on several occasions by Voom CSR's when inquiring about issues with connections.. They have been programmed to respond with certain responses depending on the trigger word. Like analog. Analog is a VERY BAD word to Voom CSR's and triggers an onslaught of digital canned statements which Voom will not back off from.

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by sat_uplinker
I called VOOM's tech support number for help with a problem I was having with my DVI output...

Even though I said several times it was a 50 foot run to the PJ...
Did I hear you right? 50 foot DVI cable? This is way outside of DVI specs, unless you use a DVI-fiber cables (well, actually they contain 2 converters).

Maybe this is the reason for your problem?

·
Registered
5,001 Posts
Good cables can do it, but they are not cheap. I had to try three of them before finding one that worked.

Later,

Bill

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Ursa
Good cables can do it, but they are not cheap. I had to try three of them before finding one that worked.

Later,

Bill
They might . And it would depend on a lot of factors. But if ones goes outside of the specs, he shouldn't be complaining about "strange" problems.

·
Registered
897 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Its a 40 foot cable actually, and it works fine. It cost something like $300 but is thick enough that it must have good sheilding and fat wires inside. Video looks good on it. This problem happens at the exact moment I shut the PJ off. That does not seem like a cable problem to me. The DirecTV box does not have this problem.

But I agree on the VOOM CSR's and "analog". What they don't understand that analog is not necessarily a bad thing. Wideband RGB looks great. I think they equate "analog" to "NTSC" because part of her "explanation" was "analog is what your local TV stations broadcast"

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.