AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 200 Posts

·
Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This new VOOM DBS sounds like a must have. I am anxiously awaiting details. Let see now, that will make 5 dishes in my back yard. Aren't adult toys fun!:D

·
Registered
4,614 Posts
so.... will it be available to everyone or just a region of the US

·
Registered
4,614 Posts
same here...... i hope its some good channels and some locals. I am sold if:

CBS

FOX

ABC

NBC

ABC

PBS

WB

UPN

HBO-HD

SHO-HD

CINEMAX-HD

ESPN HD

BRAVO HD

HDNET

HD NET MOVIES

DISCOVERY HD

PPV HD

INHD

NBATV HD

That pretty much sums it......... Directv would have to eat concrete if VOOM can deliver this

·
Registered
34 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by RAVEN56706
same here...... i hope its some good channels and some locals. I am sold if:

CBS

FOX

ABC

NBC

ABC

PBS

WB

UPN

HBO-HD

SHO-HD

CINEMAX-HD

ESPN HD

BRAVO HD

HDNET

HD NET MOVIES

DISCOVERY HD

PPV HD

INHD

NBATV HD

That pretty much sums it......... Directv would have to eat concrete if VOOM can deliver this

What he said!

·
Registered
159 Posts
 www.voom.com is owned by Rainbow - they got it 6 days ago. No content yet though. Maybe they picked the service based on what name they could register :)

I was contacted by a research firm a few months ago about a new 50 channel HD DBS service and they were floating the name "Big Picture" and asked what I thought of it. I thought it sounded pretty weak... so I guess they found something better :S

Lee

·
Registered
6,557 Posts
I'm sure that V* will have the same channels as E* & D*. I do expect that they will have cooler codecs/modulations/etc.. than 8PSK/MPEG2/etc.

Since they are 61.5 only, I don't think that they can offer service in the Northwest. I wonder if they'll be able to pick up E*'s 61.5 tps. E* won't need that Sat once SuperDuperDish is up and running on 105 & 121. Charlie could get some lease $$$ from V*.

·
Registered
4,614 Posts
Now with this excitement of VOOM, everyone has got to be wondering this very statement ...

"39 HDTV channels"

Post up which HDTV channels do you think will show up or which ones you would want to show up?

·
Registered
4,614 Posts
yeah HSNHD..... sounds good to me

·
Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I think the 39 figure for HD channels means that the satellite has the capability to deliver this number of channels. Currently there are about 19 independent HD sources give or take. It could take years to fill up 39 channels (unless they make 20 PPV).

I really don't think we will see any great deals either. I'm sure the premiums like HBO and Show will have an offering at the usual 10 bucks or so for each.

But if they could put together a core package including all the major networks and the ESPN, Disc., Bravo,... etc. for about $30 bucks it may catch a lot of our fancies.

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
Covered in previous threads:

Link:
http://gullfoss2.fcc.gov/prod/ecfs/r...ent=6513292881

proposed HD line-up:

AMC Monsters HD

AMC HD

Bravo HD

Comedy Theater HD

Discovery HD

Full Frontal Fashion HD

HBO HD

HDNET Entertainment

HDNET Movies

HDNET Sports

MGM Classics HD

IFC Widescreen

Showtime

Sports Theater HD

We Widescreen

Western Theater

Regional News (2 per transponder)

Regional Sports (2 per transponder)

(Page 9)

13 Frequencies, with MPEG4 for SD and MPEG2 for HD

HD

16 National channels

2 regional channels in 12 spot beams

Northwest will be done as well

·
Registered
4,614 Posts
So in other words, we would get national networks in hd(ABC, PBS etc)?

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
I quickly scanned the pdf link above. Was it supporting the D* and E* merger? Supporting the merger so that bunches of transponders HAD to be handed over to Rainbow/Cablevision?

Talk about a charity play on Rainbow's behalf.

Anyway, where is all this capacity coming form now that the merger was blocked?

·
Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
It sounds like they will not be able to accomplish the local-to-local piece without the E* satellite. Therefore this will be a national service only with the gimmick of a local antenna incorporated into the dish (seamlessly that is).

·
Registered
2,633 Posts
Prices (for the $749 startup cost) will surely drop significantly beginning in January of next year, after the Christmas shopping season and when other retailers are allowed to sell it.

1 - 20 of 200 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.