AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I signed up to get voom. right now i have cablevision HD. it seems like everyone who gets voom seems really happy with it. I there anybody out there who doesnt like it. It sucks they dont carry the YES network. I am also curious how the OTA HD signal looks using the voom reciever and antenna.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,233 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by gonzo719
I signed up to get voom. right now i have cablevision HD. it seems like everyone who gets voom seems really happy with it. I there anybody out there who doesnt like it. It sucks they dont carry the YES network. I am also curious how the OTA HD signal looks using the voom reciever and antenna.
Good luck trying to get NBC and WB over OTA HD. I live very close to your location and it's almost impossible to lock those 2 stations OTA. Stick with Cablevision for your local channels.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
538 Posts
If you are close enough to get the stations, but not close enough for the Voom-supplied antenna, consider getting a bigger, better antenna and asking the Voom installer to install it instead. They don't seem to mind. I have a friend who already has a big Blake JBX-14 in his attic. He was wanting to install it outside anyway. So he decided to go with Voom and ask Installs Inc. to install it instead. They agreed. Same basic work but much better antenna. This might work for you (if you are within reach using a better antenna).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,655 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by HobeSoundDarryl
If you are close enough to get the stations, but not close enough for the Voom-supplied antenna, consider getting a bigger, better antenna and asking the Voom installer to install it instead. They don't seem to mind. I have a friend who already has a big Blake JBX-14 in his attic. He was wanting to install it outside anyway. So he decided to go with Voom and ask Installs Inc. to install it instead. They agreed. Same basic work but much better antenna. This might work for you (if you are within reach using a better antenna).
Voom upgraded a friend of mine to a channel master 4228 for free, from the normal stealth antenna. I have no problems getting all locals with my medium directional antenna.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,748 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by vurbano
Voom upgraded a friend of mine to a channel master 4228 for free, from the normal stealth antenna. I have no problems getting all locals with my medium directional antenna.
Before you quickly try to convert someone to switch to VOOM, please be aware of the local OTA situation. I'm sure things in Newport News are PEACHY, but in the NYC Metro area, we lost 5 out of 7 OTA networks about 2 1/2 years ago and they still have not been restored to full power. As a new member, I am sure that gonzo719 is not aware that they most likely will NOT be able to get WB, UPN, NBC, and PBS (unless VOOM supplies a direct fiber feed from the network to their box). They may get lucky and get ABC. They will most likely be able to get CBS and FOX.


Gonzo, if you care about locals, make note of what I said above and make your own decision. Sure, the combiner project (read the local HDTV thread) may be completed in a few months and at that time you may be able to get more. Right now, if you don't care about locals, VOOM has more HD channels than CV, and will likely have more forever, however, CV already has MSG-HD and FSNY-HD (something that VOOM as a national provider may never have) and CV will probably have YES-HD before VOOM (as ridiculous as that sounds).


Vurbano, AVS law does not require you to post to every VOOM thread. In this situation, you may do far more harm than good, especially since a new member may see your thousand posts and believe that you understand their situation.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
99 Posts
With Voom there may be an issue depending upon where

you live as far as getting local channels is concerned.


However, I don't believe this should be a deal-killer for someone

considering Voom. Voom has far more HD content than anyone

else, whether or not you can get the local channels. If someone

can't get locals using the Voom OTA attenna, they always have

the option of retaining basic cable service to get the locals. Most

modern HDTVs can accommodate at least two connected HD sources,

sometimes more.


I'm able to get most of the local channels OTA, but I still kept my

Adelphia service when I got Voom. Adelphia gives me ABC, NBC,

CBS and PBS all in HD, which I believe is not available directly from

any satellite service. Voom gives me tons of other HD channels to

watch. My OTA antenna gives me the couple of HD sources not

available from any other source (like WB HD and Fox Digital soon-

to-be-HD). These sources give me a total of 43 HD channels to

watch (37 on Voom, plus 4 unique HD channels (out of 6 total) from

Adelphia, plus 2 available only OTA).


Plus I have a HD D-VHS deck for the times when there's nothing on .


Mike G.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
204 Posts
I'm not familiar with the staion issues in NYC area, but I do know that upgrading to a better antenna is really quite hassle free. I was initially installed with the standard stealth antenna and could only pick up two stations while someone half a mile away was able to get all the major networks with it. All I had to do is call Voom and explain that the installer tried his best and exhausted all options besides replacing the antenna. They upgraded me to the Wineguard 8800 and now I bring in CBS, NBC, FOX, ABC, PBS, and PAX. With cable HD in my area I wouldn't get FOX (widescreen, not HD) or PBS.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,535 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by PDPnNJ
Good luck trying to get NBC and WB over OTA HD. I live very close to your location and it's almost impossible to lock those 2 stations OTA. Stick with Cablevision for your local channels.


What antenna setup are you using? NBC should be no prob in passaic! Wb as well. Have you seen the Pete Putnam Primer on recieving OTA HD.


Check it out @ Projectorexpert.com



Happy Hunting.:D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,233 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by emdawgz1
What antenna setup are you using? NBC should be no prob in passaic! Wb as well. Have you seen the Pete Putnam Primer on recieving OTA HD.


Check it out @ Projectorexpert.com



Happy Hunting.:D
I guess you haven't read this thread before asking this question. We are affected by the 9/11 tower going down and NBC and WB are transmitting with low power. There are times when I get NBC at 40% and there are times when I get 0%. I need a reliable reception at all times !. I didn't jump on this thread to offer advise on someone living on Philadelphia. I jumped on this thread to offer advise to a neighbor.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,233 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by seldenpat
Before you quickly try to convert someone to switch to VOOM, please be aware of the local OTA situation. I'm sure things in Newport News are PEACHY, but in the NYC Metro area, we lost 5 out of 7 OTA networks about 2 1/2 years ago and they still have not been restored to full power. As a new member, I am sure that gonzo719 is not aware that they most likely will NOT be able to get WB, UPN, NBC, and PBS (unless VOOM supplies a direct fiber feed from the network to their box). They may get lucky and get ABC. They will most likely be able to get CBS and FOX.


Gonzo, if you care about locals, make note of what I said above and make your own decision. Sure, the combiner project (read the local HDTV thread) may be completed in a few months and at that time you may be able to get more. Right now, if you don't care about locals, VOOM has more HD channels than CV, and will likely have more forever, however, CV already has MSG-HD and FSNY-HD (something that VOOM as a national provider may never have) and CV will probably have YES-HD before VOOM (as ridiculous as that sounds).


Vurbano, AVS law does not require you to post to every VOOM thread. In this situation, you may do far more harm than good, especially since a new member may see your thousand posts and believe that you understand their situation.
Totally agree fellow neighbor :D


I want to add that he will be able to get PBS since it's running out of NJ.

UPN is not HD but it rides under the FOX subchannel 5-2

WB is only available for people in Queens ;) - I wonder if that has to do with the Mets :p and NBC, what a joke. There are days it comes crystal clear and there are days when I get to spend my time in the roof :mad:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
258 Posts
The quality of my Voom has been excellent, my signal strength is always 90+. The picture detail is awesome. Only in a severe rain storm does the picture bread up. The OTA issues are another story and very much dependent on location, however Voom has upgraded my antenna and come out to adjust it at no charge. All I had to do was tell them I wasnt getting one channel and they upgraded the antenna. Great customer service.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
697 Posts
I love VoOm and I get all my locals with the "crappy" Stealth OTA antenna........ :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
33,528 Posts
VOOM PQ is comparable to D*'s. You may notice a bit less artifacting in both rapid motion and sudden lighting changes on VOOM.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
250 Posts
I love my Voom and so glad to be rid of dtv/Pegasus.


Before they installed I told them the stealth would not work for me because of distance etc. and they installed a big winegard with amp on it.


If you guys are having problems with the stealth I am sure they will change it out for you:)



Good luck,


cheers

Geoffrey
 

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
Joined
·
45,622 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Cain
How is the picture Quality of Voom ???


Do the folks who have it like the video quality ???
What a good question. Amazing no one has thought of it until now!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
38 Posts
Got my Voom last night, after 3 ird's (installer buddy here until 10pm) we thought it was working but now it freezes up on a single channel and eventually goes completely down. Reboot brings all back fine and then eventually same thing happens again. Sound familiar to anyone? Very impressed with the service the short time it has worked. Menu goes black with a small PIP working them nothing at all until unplugging and starting all over. Quality control on IRD's sucks to say the least (according to installer's brief 4 or 5 installs since they got on with Voom).
 

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
Joined
·
45,622 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by flashgordonsape
Got my Voom last night, after 3 ird's (installer buddy here until 10pm) we thought it was working but now it freezes up on a single channel and eventually goes completely down. Reboot brings all back fine and then eventually same thing happens again. Sound familiar to anyone? Very impressed with the service the short time it has worked. Menu goes black with a small PIP working them nothing at all until unplugging and starting all over. Quality control on IRD's sucks to say the least (according to installer's brief 4 or 5 installs since they got on with Voom).
Check the many V* topics in the HDTV Hardware Forum.
 
1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top