AVS Forum banner

You favorite ripping software

  • DVD Fab Platinum

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • DVD Decrypter

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • ImToo

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Handbrake

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • AnyDVD & Clone DVD

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Magic DVD Ripper

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • DVD Shrink

    Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
783 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There are plenty of DVD achiving softwares out there, and plenty of people have their favorite.


So lets put it to a vote!!! (So I can pick a majority winner, and get it
)


I've chosen the one's that seem to come up a lot in reading all the threads. Lets make this the thread the one that represents the top of the heap!!


Please feel free to include your comments or another software if you like, but let's not make this a flame war!! Deal?!



Thanks guys
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2 Posts
Sean,


Thanks for starting this thread. I'm new to the HTPC arena, although I've been building my own PC's for many years. I decided to replace my aging "everyday" system with a HTPC and use my wife's year old laptop as my "everyday" rig.


Oddly enough, I stumbled upon this thread while trying to see if I could gain some insight as to what DVD archiving software I'd want to go with. I'm curious to see the results.


Thanks again!


Brad
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
783 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Buzznode,


Thanks for watching this thread and welcome to the AVS Forum!!


There are alot of really smart people here who know a little of everything, and now you are a part of it.


I started this thread after reading for hours of all the comments left by users of their favorite software, but no way to know what the popular one was.


Stranger89, thanks for commenting!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,013 Posts
I've never tried half of the programs you have listed but I've also tried others that aren't on the list. I've migrated to AnyDVD HD since most of my rips nowadays are either HD-DVD or Blu-Ray discs. AnyDVD HD also does a fine job with standard DVDs so there's no need for an extra app. I do use DVDFab HD Decryptor for stripping out just the main movie and I sometimes use it for standard DVD rips as well. I don't use it for HD rips because it takes about 3-4 times longer to rip a disc than AnyDVD HD. The main thing is to find a ripping app that's updated regularly as the studios are always looking for ways to prevent anyone from copying their DVDs.


DVD Decryptor is no longer supported and will not rip many of the newer releases by itself. However, DVD Decryptor is used as the core for may other apps so it is still viable when used this way. One of my favorite ripping programs was RipIt4Me, but unfortunately it is no longer supported. I've never tried to use DVD Shrink for ripping, mainly because I never realized it work for that purpose. I tried DVD Shrink for sompressing DVDs to fit on a DVD-5 disc but found that DVD Rebuilder Pro does a far superior job with absolutely no discernible loss in picture quality. DVD Shrink resulted in very noticeable loss of quality.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
783 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Captain,


I know I was probably missing a few pieces of software from my list, but I was hoping that if people were to post in here they would mention their favorite so we could all take a look. This list in no way represents all DVD ripping software on the market.


What format do you rip your movies to?!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,013 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaximAvs /forum/post/13274036


Captain,


I know I was probably missing a few pieces of software from my list, but I was hoping that if people were to post in here they would mention their favorite so we could all take a look. This list in no way represents all DVD ripping software on the market.


What format do you rip your movies to?!

I kept all my DVDs in native format. I never saw much reason to convert anything to avi or other highly compressed format. I'm a stickler for picture quality and I cringe every time I have to download an episode of a show off the internet that didn't get recorded by my HTPC, such as when my external USB hub AC adapter died and all of my USB ATSC tuners dropped off the bus. When a show that's recorded in Hi-Def takes up something like 8GB of space and is only 350MB when it's posted on the net as an avi file, you know there's some serious loss of information and quality.


Standard DVDs are ripped using AnyDVD HD and stripped of all extras using DVDFab HD Decryptor. Blu-Ray and HD-DVD discs are ripped using AnyDVD HD and then stripped of all extras using the procedures outlined in the Slysoft AnyDVD HD forum, mostly using EVODemux and TSremux. Some Blu-Ray discs are just ripped and no further processing is performed because it's just too much of a PITA to try and piece together the ones that are split into multiple .m2ts files and scattered all over the place. BD+ movies are also left intact because they can't be stripped of extras using the current methods. All DVD and HD disc rips are stored on an unRAID server and streamed across my home network for playback on my HTPC.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,641 Posts
I use AnyDVD + DVDFab HD Platinum.


I don't strip out anything, I used to, but I really got kinda tired of doing it by myself everytime since no one else could do it.
Now, my wife can do it as well (custom script running on disc insertion event) and it just rips everything. DVD/HD DVD/BD. Hard disks are cheap, my time is not.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
783 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by kapone /forum/post/13276545


I use AnyDVD + DVDFab HD Platinum.


I don't strip out anything, I used to, but I really got kinda tired of doing it by myself everytime since no one else could do it.
Now, my wife can do it as well (custom script running on disc insertion event) and it just rips everything. DVD/HD DVD/BD. Hard disks are cheap, my time is not.

Why use AnyDVD and DVD Fab? Don't they both do the same thing?

Just seems like a lot of $$ ($117 AnyDVD and $49 DVD Fab) for programs that are so similar.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,485 Posts
I use AnyDVD HD. When I bought it it was only about $50, then the upgrade to HD didn't cost much more.


For DVDs I just drag the Video_TS folder fron the DVD to the HDD location I want it.


For Blu-Ray and HDDVD I use Roxio to create an ISO while AnyDVD is running.


I really like AnyDVD because they constantly keep it up to date. I also like the way it allows you to skip right to the main menu on most DVDs.


~Jay
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,894 Posts
I'm very conflicted on this issue.


I actually prefer DVD Decrypter over all the others due to the excellant status/progess info that the others don't have. Unfortunately, it can't deal with the Sony protection crap, so I find I often end up using DVD Fab HD.


I've also found that the old DVD Decrypter is the best choice for scratched discs. By watching the progress info I can tell what files are having problems and skip them on the first pass. Then I can take the disk out polish it up. And since DVD Decrypter allows me to select individual files, I can pick just the files that I skipped on the first pass and complete the rip. I don't think this is possible in any of the rippers.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
783 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay M /forum/post/13280593


I use AnyDVD HD. When I bought it it was only about $50, then the upgrade to HD didn't cost much more.


For DVDs I just drag the Video_TS folder fron the DVD to the HDD location I want it.


For Blu-Ray and HDDVD I use Roxio to create an ISO while AnyDVD is running.


I really like AnyDVD because they constantly keep it up to date. I also like the way it allows you to skip right to the main menu on most DVDs.


~Jay

What do you use to watch videos with?! MCE, PowerDVD...?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac The Knife /forum/post/13280820


I'm very conflicted on this issue.


I actually prefer DVD Decrypter over all the others due to the excellant status/progess info that the others don't have. Unfortunately, it can't deal with the Sony protection crap, so I find I often end up using DVD Fab HD.


I've also found that the old DVD Decrypter is the best choice for scratched discs. By watching the progress info I can tell what files are having problems and skip them on the first pass. Then I can take the disk out polish it up. And since DVD Decrypter allows me to select individual files, I can pick just the files that I skipped on the first pass and complete the rip. I don't think this is possible in any of the rippers.

It's too bad that DVD Decrypter went away!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,013 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaximAvs /forum/post/13280915


What do you use to watch videos with?! MCE, PowerDVD...?


It's too bad that DVD Decrypter went away!!

It never went away. It just stopped being supported. You can still find it on the web if you look around.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
19 Posts
dvd decryptor and shrink for me always!


does anyone know of any solution on a mass scale to rip dvds, ive seen the ripstation 7000, does any software support multiple dvd drives, so say u could put 10 discs in every hr or 2?


i've seen a cool app that automates dvd decryptor for 1 click use also floatin around the net!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,102 Posts
I've used DVDFabDecrypter, DVDFabHDDecrypter, AnyDVD+DVDShrink, RipIt4Me and a few others I can't remember.


A few months ago I settled on DVDFabPlatinum which seems to cover everything I need out of ripper.


-Decrypt and rip DVDs to library in one step (your choice main movie or full dvd).


- Decrypt and transcode DVD stored in your library or directly from disk to ipod and other mobile device formats.


been pretty happy with it so far.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,641 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanger89 /forum/post/13282997


They ever fix DVD Fab so it actually puts the rip where you tell it instead of generating folders on it's own?

Yes they did, and there's a checkbox in the settings that tells it not to create the "fulldisc" folder in your target folder.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
51 Posts
Could people possibly comment more on why they chose one ripper over another?


eg. I chose x bc it was faster, I chose y because it perserved PQ the best, or I chose z b/c of some feature


Thanks
 
1 - 20 of 30 Posts
Top