AVS Forum banner

How will my home theater compare to the cineplex?

• Your set-up will still knock the pants off of your typical multiplex experience.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A bit better than the multiplex, and no teenagers eating popcorn.

• Not bad, but not at cineplex level.

• A significant step down from the cineplex experience.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm curious about how my home theater finished product is likely to compare with an actual theater.

"Real theater" - Our area has your basic theaters. Maybe a bit better than you mass market 15 square boxes in a row suburban cineplex, but roughly like that.

My home theater - will be in a 15x18 space, have a good sub, decent but not amazing speakers, and a $750-$1000 720p projector on a 100 inch screen.

What should I expect to experience once I'm done?

·
Registered
4,217 Posts
No cell-phones, talking teenagers, stick floors, uncomfortable seating, poor focus, crappy sound, funny smells, etc.

You could draw a picture on the side of a cardboard box and it would be better than your typical screening at the cineplex.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnsteph10 /forum/post/17008314

You could draw a picture on the side of a cardboard box and it would be better than your typical screening at the cineplex.

Ha! That got a laugh out of me today!

And it sets a pretty low standard to beat....

·
Premium Member
26,161 Posts
It's really hard to say. Immersive is the key (imho) to beating the commercial theater. So size and quality of the image, both a believable seamless front and rear soundstage, light control and sound control (from outside the room) come into play when judging a HT experience. Those are the broad strokes.

One thing that stands out for me that could be an issue would be the size of your screen. I have a similar size room at 14x19 and my 16x9 screen was 112 diagonal (yes the extra foot will make a difference). My current scope screen set up is 125" diag. If you projector can handle the larger screen, I wouldn't hesitate in going bigger.

·
Registered
4,217 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rboster /forum/post/17009126

It's really hard to say. Immersive is the key (imho) to beating the commercial theater. So size and quality of the image, both a believable seamless front and rear soundstage, light control and sound control (from outside the room) come into play when judging a HT experience. Those are the broad strokes.

One thing that stands out for me that could be an issue would be the size of your screen. I have a similar size room at 14x19 and my 16x9 screen was 112 diagonal (yes the extra foot will make a difference). My current scope screen set up is 125" diag. If you projector can handle the larger screen, I wouldn't hesitate in going bigger.

Fully agree....hence all of my complaints listed above. It is very difficult to stay immersed in a movie when the sights/sounds/smells or not conducive to that immersive experience.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by rboster /forum/post/17009

I'm completely open to screen size. I haven't purchased a projector yet, and I'll be doing some variant of a DIY screen (laminate or paint, not sure which yet) so I have pretty much complete freedom in terms of screen size.

My concern with going bigger has been the frequently cited opinion that people often make the mistake of going too big.

I think my seating distance will be at most 16' or so - probably more like 12' if I try to get two rows in (though I could have a first row and have the theater optimized for the second row instead).

Anyway, I'd like the screen as large as reasonable and workable at that distance. 125" worked well for you then? And the extra 12" was a significant difference.... hmm....

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by rboster /forum/post/17009126

a believable seamless front and rear soundstage

This also caught my eye - I was wondering, do you think "believable" is equivalent to "high quality speakers?" Or is it more about being thoughtful about placement, tonal balance between speakers, correct setup, etc.?

My speakers are by no means bad, but they are not super high quality either.

I'm wondering if can still achieve a "seamless soundstage" and thus produce the immersive experience you describe through the quality of my setup (recognizing, of course, that the true quality of the sound can only go up with better speakers).

Thoughts?

·
Registered
628 Posts
I have a very similar set up to what you described. It will all depend on how you put the room together. I did two rows of three seat reliners, with the back row sitting on a 16" high one step riser. I also used a dark olive colored paint to my cathedral ceiling and used a medium green on the walls. I put Klipse speakers up front including the sub and used 4 in wall Yamaha speakers for the surrounds and I blow away any theater in my area.

·
RETIRED theater builder
36,126 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tentaguasu /forum/post/17008214

I'm curious about how my home theater finished product is likely to compare with an actual theater.

Once you build a Home Theater you will soon realize that it is never really done. There will always be a better projector and screen, a better sound system, tweaking of the acoustical treatments and decor, and never-ending chase of the best sub-woofer.

You need to think of this project as HT1.0.

·
Registered
672 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tentaguasu /forum/post/17009585

My concern with going bigger has been the frequently cited opinion that people often make the mistake of going too big.

I think if you really read these forums you will NOT find anyone who has ever said that their screen was TOO BIG!!!! People often worry that it might be but most of the complaints that I have read complain about the screen being too small.

Google "THX" and look at the recommendations for seating distance vs screen size. THX recommends dividing the screen size by .84--- For a 125" screen, that would be a bit over 12 feet...

·
Registered
628 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGmouthinDC /forum/post/17009666

Once you build a Home Theater you will soon realize that it is never really done. There will always be a better projector and screen, a better sound system, tweaking of the acoustical treatments and decor, and never-ending chase of the best sub-woofer.

You need to think of this project as HT1.0.

Those might be the truest words ever spoken on this forum.lol

·
Premium Member
26,161 Posts
Here's the problem with your original post is you are jumping too far ahead to really get an opinion of how good, average or poor the experience will be vs commercial theater. The description you gave of the set up is way too generic for anyone to give you an honest opinion vs a couresty thumbs up.

Even once you pick out the equipment, their performance will depend on all the factors that go into a well optimized HT. Projector calibrated, room "tuned" with appropriate well placed acoustical treatments. The best speakers money can buy won't be worth their value if the room's acoustics suck. The best projector won't give you it's best image without matching the appropriate screen material to the projector and it's enviroment, nor properly calibrating it.

It would seem you've just scratched the surface it what will be a lot of work and research to just begin making buying decisions for equipment. Read, read and read on the basics' ....and when you think you understand, remember one think...

you don't know, what you don't know.

What BigmouthinDC said is on the money. We are always learning and researching...for the next tweak or upgrade to our systems. That's why it's a hobby for most.

Good Luck

Ron

·
Registered
11,131 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tentaguasu /forum/post/17009604

This also caught my eye - I was wondering, do you think "believable" is equivalent to "high quality speakers?" Or is it more about being thoughtful about placement, tonal balance between speakers, correct setup, etc.?

My speakers are by no means bad, but they are not super high quality either.

I'm wondering if can still achieve a "seamless soundstage" and thus produce the immersive experience you describe through the quality of my setup (recognizing, of course, that the true quality of the sound can only go up with better speakers).

Thoughts?

IMO, this is very important...and somewhat difficult...to achieve. To me, there is nothing more "unnatural" than dialogue that feels like it comes out of a box, and is otherwise separate from the rest of the front soundstage, via the Left and Right Fronts.

Biggest mistakes HT "rookies" make: going too small and not matching the Center. If you have the flexibility to go AT, a Center behind the screen works best. It also allows you to go with 3 matching speakers across the front, not 2 vertical speakers and a horizontal Center. So don't skimp on the Center.

Also, good processing makes a huge difference in the "naturalness" of your soundtrack, dialogue, and soundstage. Buy the best Receiver or better yet, Pre/Pro, your budget will allow.

CD

·
Registered
238 Posts
It's rare that I even go to the theater in my town now. It's funny, but I was thinking about this same topic yesterday when I went to see District 9 with some friends. I would have MUCH preferred to have seen it in my theater...

I agree with some of the other posters' comments on screen size. There are also other things that will make or break the comparison to your local multiplex. Source material, speaker placement, acoustical treatments, etc. Even my last two builds - with much lesser gear - out-shined my local cineplex experience, at least in my own opinion and the comments of guests!

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks to everyone for the helpful advice. It is much appreciated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDLehner /forum/post/17010635

Biggest mistakes HT "rookies" make: going too small and not matching the Center. If you have the flexibility to go AT, a Center behind the screen works best. It also allows you to go with 3 matching speakers across the front, not 2 vertical speakers and a horizontal Center. So don't skimp on the Center.

I can't go a. transparent. Not enough room. My plan is to use three identical vertical speakers as my three fronts. I'm hoping that by using three identical speakers I'll have a better matched front soundstage.

A lot of you have mentioned both speaker placement and acoustic treatments... I'm going to have to think a lot about that. Especially trying to do reasonable acoustical treatments on the cheap...

·
Premium Member
26,161 Posts
When researching remember a couple of things to help you find the information

1) Read the descriptions of all the forums on the front page of AVS. Many make the mistake and creating a thread (here for instance) and then forget about all the other forums. Those members that live for projectors (let's say) might not hang out in this forum. So researching in the appropriate forum for answers on specific items/subjects is important.

2) Second common form of research is to post "which speakers are the best at X price" or "what's the best projector under X price" These types of threads will get responses...but remember you don't know, what you don't know. Research on your own is critical. Listening and viewing locally to determine a short list or type of technology is critical in deciding what YOU LIKE vs a random member (who may not have the same tastes as you). This shotgun approach may get you an HT you like, or it may not and you've spent your hard earned thousands only to get the wrong piece of the equation.

The best way to search AVS is advance search engine. Use the title search only option below the search word window. Limit search words to one or two. Try to stay away from make and model numbers as search words. Use the make....will capture the ALL the results and then you'll have to visually filter from there (not the best, but will serve the purpose). Make sure the highlight the appropriate forum from the list to the right.

Ron

·
Registered
4,939 Posts
Done on a budget and kicks the multiplex's tail...Now if we can only get new releases to our theaters they wouldn't stand a chance.

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Home theaters can equal or surpass commercial theater audio. HT's can also surpass picture QUALITY of a commercial theater. However, for me, the sheer size of the commercial screen is what keeps it king.. nothing can beat the overall experience of a huge screen and no HT will ever match that... unless you start talking 20'+ wide screens. The largest I've personally seen in a home is 14' and that still doesn't even begin to compare.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.